Wednesday, July 20, 2022

One Beef Roast = Many Meals

 


I cooked up one of my little pot roasts the other day.  I had purchased three of them when they were on sale for $2.99 a pound and put them away in the freezer.  I defrosted one of them (approx. 1.5 lbs - $4.48) and placed it in my medium slow cooker after sprinkling both sides with some dry onion soup mix, about half a packet.  I hadn't used that to make a roast in ages, but my mother used to use it all the time so I figured I would go ahead and do it this way too.  I let it cook all day on high and boy did the house ever smell good.

 


A couple hours before I was ready to eat I added three red potatoes and three carrots I had washed and cut up.  I peeled the carrots saving those peelings in my freezer bag of scraps for soup broth later down the road.  I let that cook until the vegetables were tender then I removed everything from the pot and poured the drippings into a small saucepan.  On the stove I heated that up with a cup of water and a beef bouillon cube and thickened it with a cornstarch slurry to make some delicious gravy.

 


I served myself two dinners of roast, potatoes and carrots with gravy.  Then I took the leftover roast and diced it up adding it to some leftover rice I had in the fridge along with the leftover gravy and a cup of frozen peas and carrots.  I stirred it all together in a small casserole dish and microwaved it until it was cooked through and piping hot.  I ended up with three dinners from that casserole.

 


I still had some of the potatoes and carrots left so I diced those up and pan fried them.  I served that with an egg on the side for a quick brunch making the grand total of six meals made, even though the last one really didn't have any roast in it.  I'll call it the bonus meal.  Not too shabby for a little beef roast.  And every bit of it was so delicious.

 

2 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.