Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Four Months In!

 


Monday marked my four month anniversary since I stopped working and it is hard to believe that I am already four months into retirement.  To say I stopped working, however wouldn't be a fair statement.  I think I've worked harder since I retired.  I might be doing it wrong. Ha, ha!

 


So much has happened in that short amount of time.  I started out by taking the entire month of April off to rest, relax, wrap my head around what I was about to do and "detoxing" from work life.  The detox part was harder than I was expecting it to be.  It took a lot for me to just chill and not feel weird about not working.  I even had some guilt about it, which is absurd, but I did.  Lots of strange thoughts, feelings and emotions initially.

 


By the time May rolled around I was really ready to be retired and tackle some projects around the house and although the weather wasn't cooperating the first half of the month I was finally able to get outside.  As you all know by now, I have a yard!  Whoo hoooo!  Six weeks of hard physical labor has transformed our barren wasteland into a lovely and inviting yard that I am extremely proud of.  And I did it on a shoe string budget too.

 


My daughter graduated in May and that was a big milestone for both of us.  She is my youngest and was chomping at the bit to get out and be on her own.  Truth be told, I was ready for that too.  She moved out on the 7th of July and although I have her bunny and a big pile of her stuff in the garage still, it has been good for both of us.  Again, it took me a little bit to adjust to being the only one in the house, but I adapted rather quickly and I have to say - I like it!

 

All the goodies I've been collecting over the years for the room makeover

I gave it a week and then I was upstairs ripping out carpet, removing the old outdated and ugly trim and washing walls in preparation of a makeover in my daughter's old room.  That room has needed some love for quite a while, but my daughter had no interest in a makeover so I left it with dreams of what could be.  Now it looks like I pictured it in my head all of these years, maybe even better, and I couldn't be happier.  I used some of the leftover money from my landscaping project to finance this endeavor and I'm thrilled with the final results.  I will be doing a separate post on the room very soon.

 

Cleaned, new trim and fresh paint.  Ready for carpet!

I still have loads of small projects to complete around the house.  The only rooms left in my house that have not received a makeover are my downstairs bathroom and the laundry room, both of which are still in great shape.  However, I have plans in my head to spruce up those two spaces as well and I doubt it will be much longer before I get the itch to tackle them too.  I still have money left from the landscaping project to use to make it happen so that is very helpful.

 

Doll sized rugs I've made recently

However, I do plan to move at a much slower pace as we head into fall and winter.  Mainly I wanted to get done what I have so far in order that I can slow down and work on other things.  I have a lot of hobbies I enjoy doing, many that have been put on the back burner for quite some time.  Now I finally get to do those hobbies and I am super excited about it.  Work is behind me, my kids are raised and it is time for this girl to do all the things she wants to do.  Hurray!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.