Friday, August 5, 2022

I Still Play With Dolls

 


I've loved my dolls since I was itty bitty and I played with them and took care of them a lot growing up.  As a teenager I packed up my treasured dollies and the loads of clothes my mother had made for them and we sent a huge box off to my younger cousin.  My mom had told my aunt these were on loan, but when my cousin outgrew them she packed everything up and dumped them off at the Salvation Army, forgetting she was supposed to return them.  When my mother told me this she was extremely upset, to say the least, so I put on a brave face and told her it was okay.  At the time I think it was far more upsetting for her than it was for me.

 

I rehabbed and dressed all of the girls on the top shelf.  I rehabbed the ladies
on the bottom shelf and my mother dressed most of them in her creations
The detail my mother put into their clothes and undergarments is remarkable

I never realized how much I missed my dolls until about ten years later.  My grandmother and I popped into an antique shop just to poke around and I saw one of my childhood dolls (not my actual doll) in there.  After going nuts over it we left the shop and as I was about to start the car my grandmother handed me a $20 bill and told me to go inside and get that doll.  I told her it was silly at my age and she strongly disagreed.  She had noticed how my face lit up and how excited I was to see an old friend.  So I went back inside the shop, I got the doll and I was very happy to have her.

 

I created a brand new space for my doll collection

Time passed and another ten years or so later I began collecting vintage dolls, dolls from my childhood, especially ones that were" in need of a mama".  I got into rehabilitating old dolls and I've sold several of those dolls on eBay and in my Etsy shop.  It is a lot of fun for me and truly a labor of love.  Nothing makes me happier than to rescue a doll destined for the trash and give her a complete makeover so she looks nearly new again.  Giving them a new lease on life and allowing them to be enjoyed once again.

 

This little darling arrived dirty and her hair was a snarled mess
Didn't she turn out lovely?

Life happens and as my daughter's got older and their extracurricular activities swallowed up more of our time I put my dolly endeavors on hold, but they were never far from my heart.  I've really missed the work of rehabilitation.  Well, the time has come to get back to it and play with my dolls again.  I am beyond excited.  This is the biggest reason I've pushed myself so hard the last few months to get things done around here.  I am one of those people that can't relax or play if I know there are things that need to be done around the house.  I have to get that stuff taken care of.  Now that it is I'm going to be using my time to focus more attention on the things I really love to do.

 

The two girls in the middle are ones I have rehabbed and redressed

The "girls" and I have been moving into the new doll room where I can display my treasures and enjoy them as they are meant to be.  I am creating various work spaces throughout my home for the different tasks I do to rehab a doll and I'm hoping soon to add some of these things to my Etsy shop, perhaps in time for Christmas.  I'm not going to pressure myself though, this is a hobby to be enjoyed and no stress is allowed.

 

Waiting their turn

I have dollies to wash, dollies to repair, clothing to sew, accessories to make and things to build.  Load of plans swirl around in my head all of the time of what I can do.  It often keeps me from falling asleep at night, no kidding.  So there you go, you now know a little something else about me (I never grew up).

 


I'm curious.  Any other doll enthusiasts out there?  What dolls are, or were, your favorite?

 

6 comments:

  1. I love it! What a great hobby, something to enjoy and get satisfaction from - but also something you can do to save dolls from the landfill. I'm 49 and my special toys are my stuffed dogs. I make clothes for them and have toys for them. You are certainly not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great hobby! Love the dolls.
    I'm sorry that you lost your childhood dolls and clothes, but I'm glad that you were able to replace some of them.
    I kept my Barbies, but my daughter wasn't into dolls. Maybe I will have a grandchild to play Barbies with one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Think of it this way -- you can always loftily announce that this is one of your side-income jobs! Frankly, who cares...they're cute. And if they give you pleasure, why not. (I feel the same way about bobbleheads in my favorite odd people -- like Mr. Bean and Queen Elizabeth. So there.)
    This might be a help in the future --

    https://www.thefrugalgirl.com/how-to-fix-frizzy-doll-hair/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care if people think I'm a nut. I can live with that. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.