Monday, August 8, 2022

My Tireless Retirement - Week 18

 


Our heat wave finally broke on Tuesday and we have been enjoying temperatures in the lower 90s instead of being over the century mark.  Pretty typical of our summers really.  I focused on keeping my flowerbeds watered and making sure the hens, kitties and the bunny were as comfortable as possible.  Lots of fresh water and even some ice throughout the hotter days for my feathered and furry babes and I made sure the bird bath was filled each day as well for our wildlife friends.  I got my outside chores done in the cooler early morning hours and spent the rest of my days inside working on various items on my "To-Do" list and crafting.

 

I patched the hole in my pantry door with Bondo and let it cure overnight

Once it was sanded and painted I drilled a new hole and it was good to go!
I love this new knob much better than the old one

My pantry has a bifold door on it and over the years the weight of the knob has worn the hole it is attached through quite large making it very loose to the point I can no longer tighten it.  I got out the Bondo and did a patch over the hole, both front and back, letting it cure overnight, did a little sanding, touched up the paint and then redrilled the hole.  I also replaced the knob with something much lighter and more in keeping with my current home décor.  Since I already had the Bondo, sanding block, paint and the knob this was a no cost fix. I'll let you know how my repair job holds up.

 

New doorknobs throughout the entire house


I think they are so pretty

Something I've wanted to do for a very long time is to update the door knobs throughout our home.  As I've replaced the doors in each room I've stuck the old 1970s knobs back on, even spray painted them once or twice, but I really didn't like them.  They were pretty ugly.  I've also had to replace knobs over the years so I had some that didn't even match.  Not anymore!  I finally figured out what style of doorknob I wanted to go with and ordered new ones from Amazon.  I love them!  Once they were installed I felt so happy.  It really is the little things in life that bring me joy.

 


On Tuesday I went to visit my co-workers, apparently they were missing me.  I didn't stay too long and on the way home I went to the cheap seat movies and saw Lightyear.  I figured, why not?  I can tell you right now - way too many kids in that theatre and since the movie was more appealing to adults than children in my opinion, they got bored.  Really bored.  I was a little disappointed in the movie myself.  Glad I only spent $1.50 and it got me out of the house.  After the movie I was in close proximity to Wal-Mart so I stopped in on my way home and stocked up on cat food as I'm beginning my winter stock up now.  They had the big bags I was hoping to find, the feed store was out, as well as a small selection of canned kitty food.

 


I did not do any grocery shopping and prepared meals using up what I already had on hand.  I've just about emptied the crisper drawer in my refrigerator so I'll need to do a produce run pretty soon.  I ate leftover egg drop soup and egg rolls for three meals, cooked up four sirloin burgers and ate those with a salad on the side for four meals and finished up a couple hot dogs I had hanging around with some homemade canned chili one night.  It had been a while since I'd had a chili dog and it was pretty tasty.

 

I made some miniature food for a dollhouse


Too much fun!!

I spent all day Friday hanging out with a good friend of mine.  We talked and laughed a bunch, tried to solve the world's problems over lunch and finally decided we have zero control over anything and threw up our hands.  But, we had a very nice time.  We even saw puppies, but had the good sense not to bring any of them home with us.

 

I also made this miniature crochet set

Another great week has completely flown by and now I'm onto another one.  Holy cow!  Time is flying!  And little ones will be back in school soon.  How crazy is that?  I hope everyone is doing well.  Take care my friends!

 

4 comments:

  1. If your cheap movie theater gets Maverick go see it. It’s really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great week! Your meals look so good, and the dollhouse food is adorable.
    We were a little disappointed in the movie too since my kids were big Toy Story fans. At least the cat was cute. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.