Friday, August 12, 2022

The New Doll Room/Guest Room

 


When I began the bedroom renovation I initially had in mind of a simple little bedroom with a sweet 1950s vintage vibe.  But as I worked on this project putting up new trim, spackling the walls, caulking and painting my mind was filled with all kinds of ideas for what I could use this room for.  I am very fortunate to have a beautiful guest room downstairs with a dedicated crafting space.  And... now a bunny.  The bunny was not part of the plan, but kids move out and they don't always take all of their stuff.

 



I've redone the upstairs bedroom a few times and have enjoyed the work each and every time I've done it.  At first it looks so cute and darling and it stays that way for a good while, but eventually the room succumbs to a teenager and it is difficult for any room to survive that trauma.  I suppose I could have reigned in my kids creative license, not allowed them to have pets and stood over them with an iron fist "CLEAN YOUR ROOM!!!", but I didn't.  Yes, I nagged on more than one occasion about the mess, but for the most part I just let them have their space.  And as each child has left the nest I've fixed the damage they created in their respective rooms and continued on.  That's what parents do.

 

My first baby doll

And my doll trunk

This time around I'm doing it for the last time.  Any future messes and damage will be my own now.  Ha!  So as I worked in the smallest bedroom in my home I was filled with all the possibilities of what I could do in here.  And I decided, after much thought, to make it a space to display my doll collection and the handful of childhood toys I've kept all of these years, including a well loved teddy bear and my first baby doll.

 

My teddy bear was nearly loved to death
Rub-A-Dub Dolly & my Baby Beans

Crissy dolls are just the best! 😁

I selected my favorite fashion dolls that I've lovingly rehabilitated and dressed in clothes that either my mother or I have made for them.  Most of these dolls are wearing my creations and I've thoroughly enjoyed sewing for them.  I plan to sew more in the not so distant future.

 

I already had curtains for this room but, when I saw these
at Wal-Mart I thought they'd be just perfect and they are!



In 2021 I acquired another baby doll from my childhood to rehab.  A Rub-A-Dub dolly in need of some love and attention.  Due to a lost package situation I ended up with two of these babies when the lost one eventually showed up.  Never planned on having twins, but then who does?

 

My Dad made me this furniture for my Barbie doll one year for Christmas
My Mom made the pillows and a gorgeous wardrobe any doll would envy

And then recently I added to my collection by purchasing a Ken and Barbie doll.  I've never had either one of these dolls before.  I've had some Barbies (Malibu, PJ & Francie) and a wardrobe created by my mother that one would kill for, however by the time they made it through me and my kiddos they were pretty much toast and I let them all go a few years back.  Difficult?  Yes, but sometimes you have to cut your losses and bid them a fond farewell.  I always figured eventually I'd find some suitable replacements to add to my collection.  I'm not sure how I feel about this Ken I chose, but we'll see.  I do love the Barbie.  Formal introductions are coming soon.

 

This little trinket dish used to sit on my grandma's bedroom dresser

Stuffies my kids have given me over the years
The teddy bear was sent to me by my son while he was deployed to Iraq
It says "Hello from Mosul, Iraq" on the little T-shirt

I decorated the room with linens I already had, pillows and doilies I made myself, vintage lamps I collected and shades picked up at thrift stores and on clearance tables.  I purchased two new pieces of furniture at Wal-Mart, just two basic white bookcases which were much less expensive than the worn out damaged ones being offered up on Facebook Marketplace.  I also purchased a new mini blind and these darling curtains at Wal-Mart plus a cute yellow throw to dress up one of my folding camp chairs.  The bed I already had, it was my daughters, and the nightstand is one I got at a neighbor's yard sale ages ago and repainted.

 


I made sure to leave space to grow with some empty shelves

About twenty years ago I purchased this desk for I think $20, probably less actually, and I've been threatening to trash it for a while now.  But other than being ugly, it is still super sturdy and a great size.  I've used this desk, both of my girls have used it and after getting a bit of a facelift I'm using it again.  After a couple coats of Rustoleum Sweet Pea spray paint I think it fits the theme of the room quite nicely and will make the perfect spot to display a "dollhouse".  Of sorts.  That falls under the category of great ideas swirling around in my head.

 


It totally reminds me of how my mom decorated my room when I was a little girl (I had a chenille bedspread she had dyed pink) and it makes me feel so happy when I come in here.  I still want to find some cute artwork to hang on the walls.  I'd love to find some vintage 50s or 60s art pieces, something with that vibe.  I guess I'll have to do some thrifting.  Oh darn!

 



Mainly this room is dedicated to display my treasures but has the added benefit of also being a usable guest room for anyone who isn't creeped out by dolls and several pairs of eyes watching you while you sleep.  And I'll probably play in here with said dolls from time to time as I update their clothes and build them stuff and what have you.  It is safe to say, I've never really grown up.  And that is perfectly okay.  What do you think of my little girl room?  I think it turned out super cute.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I love it!! O I wish I had a spare bedroom to redo... I hope you may enjoy this room and your dolls for many years!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute room but those dolls gotta go. Lol. Dolls and clowns kind of wig me out🤣🤣🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet room! Love all the memories and treasures! The furniture that your Dad made for you and the doll clothes from your Mom are so special. Enjoy your lovely room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those curtains are just THE cutest and match everything perfectly! It's so fun to redecorate. You did a fantastic job. What a beautiful space for your treasures.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.