Monday, April 3, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 52 = One Year Completed!

 


Hello, hello!  It has already been a full year!  Yes it really has!  I retired April 1st of 2022 last year and for the most part I feel it has been a good decision.  As you know, I was willing to swap out two years of super thrifty living to start my early retirement even earlier, by one year and to me it is definitely worth it.  I don't miss my job at all or the daily rat race I'd been a part of for so long.  I also love that when it is raining, snowing and cold I don't have to get up while it is still dark outside to shovel snow or scrape my windshield because I need to be at work.  Nor do I have to head out in traffic on icy roads and hope I make it there safe and sound.  I'm on my own schedule and other than the occasional doctor appointment I pretty much go and do what I want, when I want.  It has been really nice.

 


That being said, it has also taken me a fair bit of adjusting to get used to my new life.  I can see now why it is suggested that you don't make any big life altering decisions that first year.  Although it is something you plan for and look forward to, it does take some getting used to.  My life is completely different now.  The biggest struggle has been learning to wind down and get out of that Go-Go-Go Mode I've been operating on practically my entire life.  Not every waking moment needs to be filled with activity and tasks needing to be done and that feels pretty surreal, to say the least.  Oddly, I also struggle with guilt over not doing something.  Another thing I seriously need to get over feeling.  It's really rather ridiculous when you think about it.

 


Last summer I was given the all clear health wise and told I could get back to life with no restrictions.  I was elated and thought that meant I'd be like I was prior to all this horse$h!t happening to me, but it turns out, not entirely so.  I learned that I'm as good now as I'm ever going to get.  There is a limit to how much I can do and how far I can go now and it isn’t likely to get better.  I no longer have the strength, energy or stamina I once had.  Disappointing?  You better believe it and I admit to having some pretty frustrated and teary moments as I've been figuring it all out.  But, then I looked around at all I've accomplished thus far and decided rather than wallowing in self pity I'd embrace this and figure out new ways to get on with my life.  More adjustments required, but I can do this.  Now I consider it a challenge and you all know how I like a good challenge.  Besides, it is entirely possible I could do better, nothing is truly ever set in stone.

 


I've spent a lot of time alone with myself, done a lot of thinking (maybe a little too much of that at times) and soul searching.  Thankfully I'm a pretty enjoyable person to be around so I didn't mind it too much, ha, ha, ha.  I've reached out to people I haven't spoken to in ages, deepened my relationships with my current friends and I've even made some new friends along the way too.  I've done a lot of the things I've wanted to do on my home and I've easily done more craft projects this past year than I've done in the past ten.  I've cooked meals and side dishes I enjoy without having to think about the preferences of others.  I get to buy groceries for me and no one else (usually).  My house stays clean with far less effort and I have a ton less work to do around here as well.  My life no longer revolves around the public school schedule which I am so happy about and I don't answer to a boss anymore - Yes!  That is the best part!  The only person I answer to is that good looking gal in the mirror.  I like her way better.

 


So what is next for me?  Some pretty exciting things are coming up, at least I happen to think so, so stay tuned.  After all, I didn't name this blog "tireless" for no reason.  And yes, as you have probably already guessed Laverne is going to be a BIG part of it.  HUGE!

 

16 comments:

  1. Happy one year anniversary! Love your blog and look forward to life with Laverne ;). Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Little Penpen) Congrats! On your first successful year of retirement! I am looking forward to following along for the next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your one year retirement anniversary! I am still working and on that go, go, go lifestyle. I can't imagine being retired and living on my schedule in my way. I hope I get to experience that soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats to one year!!! I am excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations on your one year anniversary! I know that it will also be a big adjustment for me, when it happens. I'm always in a hurry to move on to the next task, because otherwise, things will fall apart. It will be heard to break that pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on one year! Very exciting! I’ve followed along this whole time and you are really rocking retirement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. YEA! 1 year down and plenty of sunrises and sunsets ahead.

    I hear ya on the guilt and shoulds. It didn't take me long after many "you're so lucky" and "livin' the life of luxury" comments to get over that. I worked my a$$ off for 43y putting in so many hours I'd have worked 40h weeks until age 67.....by age 58. Screw that. I take a small monthly allowance from my IRA and that's that.

    I can't wait to hear about your Thelma and Louise travels with Laverne :-)

    PS: I'm sending you an email-wanted you to know it's me from my comments here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as we don't go over a cliff! Ha! I'm excited to take off and get out of town.

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to hear about your adventures with Laverne!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy First Year Anniversary of Retirement. So proud your enjoying. And figuring it all out.
    So excited about your adventures with Laverne. Have fun..whenever /wherever you go//

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.