Wednesday, May 3, 2023

My Small Bathroom Refresh

 


I did something this week that was totally unplanned, heavily thought about and definitely something I was hoping to do this year.  I gave the little downstairs bathroom a makeover and it didn’t cost me anything out of pocket to do it.  It all started with a door.

 

I like this ever so much better

My house was built in 1979 and they didn’t splurge on the finishes.  All of the trim was made with fake wood and all of the doors were made from compressed fiber board, not much different from cardboard if you ask me.  Long ago my son had put a hole in the door to our downstairs bathroom by opening it into his foot and it looked terrible.  Officially, all of our doors now had a hole in them at that point.  At the time I didn’t have the budget to replace the door so I removed it and replaced it with a temporary solution of a bifold door.

 

I've always wanted to do something about this heater to make it look better

We all know how temporary sometimes works itself into long term, but I can tell you that for the past twenty odd years I’ve never liked that bifold door I put up.  Not attractive and not easy to clean either.  But the other day I came up with a solution to swap it out with bifold closet door in the guest room.  Brilliant!

 

It was a little dirty so I gave it a bath

The other thing that I never liked in that bathroom was the dated heater, at least the beige trim piece.  So I took it down and gave it a couple of coats of white Rustoleum spray paint I had out in the garage.  It made a huge difference in how it looks and now it blends into the ceiling instead of standing out.

 

Well since you're at it you should paint the ceiling

Well now you have to paint the walls

Monday morning the plan was to just paint the new door which had some scuffs and dings on it with some leftover paint I had in the garage from the upstairs bedroom makeover.  Then I decided to paint the door jamb and trim too.  Since I had the heater trim down it seemed like a good idea to paint the ceiling while I was at it.  Of course once the ceiling was painted the walls looked pretty dingy and before I knew it I was stripping down the bathroom and painting the walls too.

 

I like this ever so much better

Once the second coat of paint dried I put everything back together, rehung the medicine cabinet, cleaned and put the outlet plates on, washed the light fixture, put the freshly painted heater trim piece back up, put up the towel holder, the TP roll holder and rehung the decorative towels.  Then I gave everything a thorough wipe down and mopped the floor.  It feels so clean and fresh in there now.

 

Bright, fresh & clean

Huge improvement overall

I love too that all of my doors in my house are updated and matching with the exception of the hall closet door and now the guest room is without a closet door.  I had one of the glass knobs left to put on the bathroom door so now all of my knobs are the same throughout the house as well.  I’m thinking that for the time being I will clean up the old bathroom door and use that for the guest room closet while I’m searching for a replacement for the hall closet.  That door is a size that is no longer made so I’m going to have to get creative.  I’m hoping to give the hall closet a refresh this year as well.  Wish me luck finding a door for the hall closet that not only fits, but also matches the rest of the doors in my house.  Restyle and Facebook Marketplace, here I come!

 

12 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.