Friday, May 26, 2023

Slow & Steady Wins The Race

 


In the past two years I’ve had a bit of a struggle trying to get back to where I was prior to an unexpected onslaught of health issues I was plagued with in 2021.  With frustration mounting I decided to take a giant step back and reevaluate the situation.  After all, what is it they say about doing the same things over and over, yet expecting a different result?

 

I don't need to get it all done today, this week or even this month

I feel that the reason I’ve been able to regain much of my strength, energy and endurance lately is due to the fact that I am no longer doing things the way I used to.  No more multi tasking, no more go, go, go.  I realized I no longer need to stuff as much productivity into a small amount of time because I no longer need to fit tasks in between work, school activities or other people’s needs.  I’ve finally been able to recognize and accept that I’m retired and I’m now on “my time”.

 

I loaded the truck one day, then after a good night of sleep
I drove to the dump and unloaded it the next day

My approach to each day is to decide what I want to work on and then sit with my morning coffee and plan out in my head, sometimes on paper, how I want to accomplish my task or tasks of the day.  I take each job in smaller increments and I don’t rush through the process.  I figure out what tools and supplies I need, I gather those up and then I get to work.

 

Take time to enjoy the process and admire what has been accomplished

I take breaks if the project I’m working on is a lengthy one.  A one hour lunch break is a must, plus at least two fifteen minute breaks, maybe longer.  I make sure I’m drinking water and eating good food so I’m well hydrated and nourished.  I take time to stretch and to rest, even to step back and really look at what I’m working on and admire my progress.

 

Recognizing when you've done enough for one day is important

Some days all I’m doing is gathering supplies like making a trip to Home Depot or the nursery at Fred Meyer.  Sometimes all the shopping, loading and unloading is a job all of its own and I’m done.  Recognizing my limits each day is important.  I don’t need to completely wear myself out.  By pacing myself I actually seem to get farther.

 

This is true

Overtime I’ve found I’m able to work longer, work stronger and do more tasks with less effort.  I still get tired, but I don’t get frustrated anymore by my limitations.  I welcome the sore muscles and the achy joints as a sign of me accomplishing great things.  I notice now that when I take a break, rehydrate and rest for a bit I can easily get started again.  I’ve accomplished a lot this past year and I’m making great gains in my overall health.  Knowing this fuels me to keep going.  I’m no longer sprinting to the finish line, instead I’m just plodding along, but I’m winning.

6 comments:

  1. (Little Penpen) I think you have found your groove. I beat myself up for not walking on the treadmill everyday. I’ve decided even a quick 1/2 mile walk is better than no walk. That way I don’t mind the “chore” as much. You’ve been busy and it shows!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we have a tendency to be harder on ourselves than we should be. We need to be nicer to ourselves.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate this post. I'm trying to do the same in my life since my last child left home 2.5 years ago. But it's hard for me! I get down on myself because I feel like I should do more and more because after all I once had children AND a million tasks to get done that I shoved into every available moment.

    The reality is that I often didn't get things done or if I did I sure didn't enjoy it. The way you pace yourself sounds lovely. I hope to do the same (with practice!)
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm struggling with the same issues.
    I have multiple autoimmune issues.
    I get so upset at how little I can do
    In a day. It's frustrating.
    I'm trying to do what I am able.
    I love the advice I read on another blog, just do the next thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so proud your enjoying retirement, getting things done... but breaking it into a doable time frame. Smart!!
    Proud your health is improving.
    You have really accomplished alot this year. You really encourage me to get things done. Thank you.
    Keep enjoying every day.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.