Monday, May 29, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 60

 


Hello my friends.  Today is Memorial Day in the U.S. and a time for many to remember lost loved ones as well as veterans that gave all they had to give while fighting for our freedom.  I know a lot of loved ones are sitting heavy on my mind today, but I am comforted in knowing someday we’ll be reunited in Heaven.  I am also truly grateful to my family members that have served in the armed forces and to those that continue to serve.

 


Another project filled week has flown right on by and we are now looking at June here in a few days.  Time flies when you are having fun and I must admit I have been having quite a bit of fun lately.  I started and completed another small home improvement project which I’ll be sharing more with you on Friday.  Another long awaited project that had been nagging at me for quite some time.  I’m super excited to have that off the good old “to do” list and no longer on my mind.

 


While waiting for paint to dry I made good use of wet rollers and paintbrushes and ended up repainting the wainscoting and trim in my dining room.  It wasn’t all that long ago that I redid the dining room, however after a few years of using it as a work from home office, an online classroom, and as always a place to eat our meals as well as homework central it had a few bumps and bruises.  It was nothing a fresh coat of paint couldn’t cure.  Now it looks bright and new again.

 


I continued to putter in my garden and my flowerbeds last week.  I pulled some weeds, plucked up all the spent tulips which I added to the compost bin, watered everything, and then planted a few sedums in a couple of the flowerbeds.  My flowers look so gorgeous.  Mostly, I just sat outside and really enjoyed my new yard.  At times I still can’t believe this is now my yard.  The backyard will continue to be a work in progress as I decide what I want to add and grow back there.  I’m excited about all of the possibilities as it evolves.

 

First harvest from the garden already
Cilantro for my sweet little bunny



Fred Meyer has had a lot of really good deals on chips lately so I spent my pocket money and stocked up.  Now I have loads of chips for camping, BBQs, picnicking, and entertaining friends.  Lots of good flavors to add to a yummy meal or a simple sandwich.  I think I have enough to get me through the summer.

 

Daisy is having her hay while Jack is inside the cardboard box napping

I gave our Daisy bunny an updated enclosure with “grass” and a new hidey hole which my cat Jack decided is his new place to take a nap.  Apparently he wants to share the new enclosure with Miss Daisy.  She seems okay with it and does enjoy his company.

 

She loves her new space

I got the closet door I painted the week prior hung back up.  I gave our downstairs bedroom a good clean up for the first time since I decluttered the bed, the craft center, the dresser and my sewing and craft table.  Now our little bunny can romp around in a much larger space whenever I leave her enclosure door open.  And Jack can continue napping.  After all, it’s hard work being a putty cat.

 


Lastly, I had an opening in my busy schedule to head one town over and drop off all of the electronics and tech equipment I had decluttered and stacked in my garage.  It feels so good to have that pile of stuff out of my garage and now in the hands of the recyclers.  On my way back I was able to stop and pick up supplies at stores I don’t shop at often as they are on the other side of the city, so it is never a quick trip in that case.  Harbor Freight is one of those stores and I was able to pick up a couple of tarps to replace the worn out ones I decluttered this spring as well as get a replacement pump for the pond.

 

A new little BBQ to replace the ginormous one I gave away last month

I hope you all had a great week.  How has the weather been where you live?  Are you planting flowers or working on a garden?  Do you have any home improvement projects in the works?

 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for stepping out and mentioning this Day and what it really means. I appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Memorial Day. I too thank the brave men and girls who serve /fight, to protect our freedom.

    You are a busy lady, accomishing alot.

    Excitedly awaiting to see your other project.
    Have fun.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.