Monday, August 28, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 73

 


Hello, hello my friends!  We were super blessed with some rain and much cooler temperatures last week for which I’m extremely grateful for.  I especially enjoyed the reprieve from watering everything and worrying about my plants and flowers dying by inches as they baked in the hot sun.  We haven’t had a good rain in a couple of months.

 

The donation pile does not include the kitty šŸ˜‰
Although, there are days......  šŸ˜‚ 

I took a brief break from my BIG project to take care of a few things on my “to-do” list.  Now that school is back in session, it began the week prior to last, I wanted to get the donations I’d gathered throughout the summer over to the high school for their student pantry.

 

Instruments and an overstuffed bag of goodies for the student pantry

I also contacted my oldest daughter’s junior high band teacher as well as the new orchestra teacher to see if they could use an extra clarinet and a viola.  They were thrilled!  I headed over and got those dropped off and it really made my heart happy.

 


I did some more decluttering and reorganized my bedroom closet adding a couple more items to my donation bag.  On the way to the two schools last week I dropped off my glass recycling at the grocery store collection bin and dropped off my latest pile of donations at the thrift store.  It was really nice to get these things out of my house and on to someone else and be able to check these tasks off the list.

 

Amen!

As much as I love the idea of a neighborhood giving page on Facebook I had to pull out of mine.  It has become much more of an asking page than a giving page and the things people were asking for just blew my mind.  One gal was asking to borrow a car so she wouldn’t be inconvenienced while she loaned out hers.  Huh???  And my other big irritation is when people throw out their “single parent” status as the reason they are asking.  There was quite a bit of that.  As a single parent for 37 years I never used that as an excuse for anything, ever.  Well, except for maybe, why I was tired.  LOL.

 


Last week I was the victim of a random act of kindness.  I got cucumber bombed by one of my neighbors who anonymously hung a bag full on my front doorknob.  There was also a summer squash in there.  I was thrilled with my little bounty of fresh homegrown produce.  I most likely will ferment or pickle the cucumbers since I doubt I can eat that many before they go bad.

 

I'm doing alright! šŸ˜

Thursday was my annual trip to the cardiologist and then over to the lab for the usual blood work.  I’m still waiting on the results from my lab work, but the cardiologist appointment went well.  Once again, I was told that I’m as good as I’ll ever get (okay, if you say so), stick with that Mediterranean diet (nope), but reduce my sodium for blood pressure reasons (even though my blood pressure is perfect) and stay active (definitely!).  I refuse to be frustrated with these things as I often feel that I am diagnosed and treated for the general population rather than as an individual.  By the way I am rushed through an appointment (in and out in only ten minutes) confirms to me that I’m not really an individual just part of the herd.  Regardless, I’m good to go until next year and my prescriptions have been renewed.

 


I’m not really complaining.  I’ve been in the medical field pretty much my entire adult life so I do have a pretty solid understanding of these things.  Our current medical profession is grossly understaffed and overworked.  Plus, I do believe we our best advocates and it is important do our own research.  I make my health related decisions based on what I know, and what I know works best for me, to the very best of my ability.  That is all any of us can really do.

 

I'm still on a mission!

I’m getting down off my soapbox now.  I hope you all enjoyed your week.  Any of you still decluttering?  I’d love to know how things are going for you.  Take care!  And stay healthy!

 

12 comments:

  1. I am grateful my Buy-Nothing group hasn't succumbed to that or like you, I would leave.

    No level of lecture by a Doc will ever get me to do some of the "everyone your age should" advice you've received. Good on you for drawing your line in the sand and directing your own health.

    Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to ignore it, but when they start to take over your facebook feed, it's time to go.

      Thank you Elle!

      Delete
  2. I had to delete our local FB marketplace too for a lot of the same reasons. I also dislike the single parent line and the "well I have 4 kids" line. Last year I had a 6 foot, pre lit Christmas tree to give away. The excuses on picking it up were amazing. It was FREE!! Crazy! Glad you're doing well on the health front. Healthcare is falling apart quickly and we really DO need to be our own advocates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is one gal that would claim nearly everything, but insist on it being delivered to her. It got really weird.

      We do need to be our own advocates, very true.

      Delete
  3. I feel the same way about our buy nothing group. Most of it is grifters looking for something and asking. It's weird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is weird. I just could not ask for stuff like that. Maybe I just have too much pride.

      Delete
  4. Perhaps they rushed you through the appointment because they're no longer that worried about you! In fact, the advice sounds like "standard procedure." I'd be surprised if they don't say the same thing to 97% of the current population.
    Glad you're feeling and doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tests recommended by the Mayo they aren't interested in doing so I'm not sure how they would know. I can always pick a different doctor or head back to MN.

      Delete
  5. I agree with you about the problems with a Buy Nothing group.

    Folks on mine get the label "Top Contributor". But do a little searching and you find out they are a "Top Asker" not a "Top Giver"! Some folks have never once given a single thing, but have page and pages of asks.

    Too many people give disgustingly filthy items. I would be so embarrassed to give away dirty clothes, shoes, dishes, and toys. Somtimes I want to post a comment: "Gee, all that crusty dirt is FREE?!?!?! Gosh, thanks!!!"

    People seem to think that putting in an "ask" means that they are owed that item the next time it is posted. I actually had someone complain that I gave away an item to someone else, but she had asked for it weeks ago. I didn't respond, but thought to myself,
    "Hmph! Askin' ain't gettin'! And you won't be getting anything from me with that attitude."

    I sympathize with your feelings of the medical community treating me like the "herd" rather than as an individual. That's precisely why we have to be our own best health managers and advocates, as you are.

    At my last dr. appt he was so busy entering information into his database (info that I had filled out online prior to the visit, mind you!) that he completely ignored my weight loss since my last visit. Gee whiz. When I pointed it out to him he briefly said, "Good job. Keep going." And then proceeded to ask me if I was "safe" at home and if food scarcity was an issue for me! Wha???? I asked why he asked that, seeing as there was no resource person at his office to direct me to free counseling, a battered women's shelter or local food banks. He shrugged and said it was just one more edict the federal govt. had dumped on their heads that they had to comply with.

    I guess long story short is I agree with you--the medical profession is under fire and we need to help ourselves to the fullest extent we can.

    Since I started reading your blogs, I have admired your ability to be your own advocate in ALL areas of your life. You are a tremendous example to us, and I try to honor your sharing by learning from your examples. Know that what you share here really does make other's lives better! I am one of the multitude... :^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, thank you so much for your kind words. I needed to hear this today. You made me feel really good today.

      I got asked a bunch of weird questions too that I've never been asked before and had no bearing on why I was there. I wondered if it wasn't some new directive they needed to follow. I'd rather have had that time to discuss my health, quite frankly. Oh well!

      Take care and enjoy the rest of the week! :)

      Delete
  6. So glad to hear your cardiologist checkup was good. I know that was a relief. And how awesome for the school band to get your extra instruments! I know they were probably elated! Instruments can be so expensive! Yay for the rain! It has surely been a hot, dry summer! I nearly cried happy tears when we finally got some Sunday morning. It has made this week so much nicer. Hope you have a great rest of your week!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.