Friday, October 20, 2023

I Went Back To Work!

 


At the beginning of this month I was offered and accepted a part time position with the city of Boise working primarily with seniors.  I am thrilled!  It is considered a temporary position and I can quit at any time without notice if I want to.  I was originally thinking about volunteering at the senior center this winter but, if the city wants to pay me to work instead, why the heck not?!  It doesn’t pay much, but it will cover my gas so that works for me.

 


I’ve only been working a couple of weeks, but so far I am really enjoying it and the people I work with are super nice and friendly.  They seem really excited to have me there too.  I knew I didn’t want to go into this winter without a job of some kind.  Whether it was a paid position or something voluntary, I was determined I’d be doing something outside of my home this year.  I can’t sit around with nothing to do and after all the major projects were completed around here I knew I’d be bored to tears.  I have to be busy, that’s just how I’m wired, and I really enjoy the social aspect of having a job.  I think I’ve missed that social part most of all.  I’ve surprised myself with how good I feel being back in the workforce.  It has really added a lot to my overall happiness and made me feel like I have a greater sense of purpose.

 


Even better, the place I work out of is near the foothills area where I love to go and hike so I can leave work and get a hike in before I head home anytime I wish.  There are loads of parks and activities in the area as well.  My doctor’s offices, the library and several grocery stores where I enjoy shopping are along my route so I can hit those up on my way home if I decide to.  I feel like it couldn’t have been more perfect for me at this time.

 


I don’t consider myself “semi” retired though because I don’t really work that many hours so I’m still definitely retired.  Plus, I don’t feel like this is a “job” because I enjoy it too much.  I do consider it a true blessing and an answer to a prayer for which I am truly grateful.  Right now I know I am meant to travel this particular path and I’m thrilled to be on it.  Yippeee!

 

20 comments:

  1. I think it is so important to have a bit of purpose and social interactions after retirement. My husband has been retired for a few years but runs a tae kwon do school. He has mentioned that he may be getting close to giving it up. I'm all for it but I am a bit worried he will be bored and miss the interaction with others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He just might, I sure did. Most of my friends are still working full time jobs so it has been a little hard for me.

      Delete
    2. Lori, maybe he can teach part-time? Or run the books? Schedule the programs? Perhaps there are ways he can still be involved, but to a much lesser extent.

      Delete
    3. I hope that he can. It sounds like he's a very involved individual and it would likely shock his system if he quit everything all at once. It shocked mine!

      Delete
  2. (Little Penpen) that is awesome! I love working with seniors. You will be so blessed by them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my favorite group of people, always have been. I'm so happy to be there.

      Delete
  3. I think your part-time work sounds fabulous! Gets you up and out, interacting with people who need your cheerfulness and "can-do!" great attitude. Plus the hiking exercise? I don't see any downsides. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!!! That sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you!!!
    I do have 'other' work, but just took on a job working the election. Which means most days, I just sit around and read or work on craft projects. But it pays -- and I don't get that much appraising work in October and November, anyways. So it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good little job too. I had given that a thought myself.

      Delete
  6. Well, this new job sounds just perfect! Congratulations! Glad to hear you are enjoying it. I think getting out in the world a little is good for the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats. Sounds like the perfect job. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.