Wednesday, October 18, 2023

I've Done A LOT Of Canning This Year!

 


This girl has been extremely busy this year and in no small part was that in the home canning department.  In looking back I was actually quite surprised at all that I’d put up in jars for my LTFS while at the same time using up items I’d canned in previous years.  Having shelf stable home canned food helps me maintain my grocery budget while making for some healthy and easy to prepare meals.

 


I cleared out my old chest freezer and canned up a huge pork roast that I can use to make quick and tasty BajaTacos, pulled pork sandwiches, verde and so many other things, I could just go on and on.  For the first time I cooked up sliced Italian sausages with green peppers and tomatoes as well as some meatballs in marinara sauce.  I canned ground beef and ground pork sausage.

 


This year I made Split Pea Soup and some Taco Soup which I put up in pint jars for a much healthier canned soup I can just heat and eat.  Both of which are fabulous, by the way!  I do have some plans to possibly make some more soups this year.

 


I made and canned sweet relish using my own homegrown zucchini and even made a couple quarts of cucumber pickles using someone else’s homegrown cucumbers.

 


I soaked and canned a variety of dry beans so they are recipe ready and super convenient, along with a double batch of salsa and some marinara sauce to round out the pantry.  I even tried canning butter and guess what?  It worked!

 


I truly do enjoy home canning.  What is next on my list?  I’m not really sure, but you can bet when I figure it out you’ll be the first to know.

 

5 comments:

  1. What are you using for your canner?
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a water bath canner and an electric pressure canner.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIpba9yA8eA

      Delete
  2. I didn't realize there was an electric pressure canner! Thanks for the link.
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love mine :)
      https://thriftymominboise.blogspot.com/2020/05/a-new-pressure-canner.html

      Delete
  3. I am inspired. I'm saving for a pressure canner. I only canned jam last year. I made lots and used most of it for gifts at Christmas. In fact, I think I only have a can or two left plus the apple butter my dad canned and gave to me. I've found frozen fruit works just fine. Pineapple was my new flavor last year. Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.