Wednesday, October 4, 2023

What Is In My Pantry & LTFS

 


I enjoy home canning for many reasons.  I am able to put away shelf stable foods so I am not completely dependent on my deep freezer, I know what is in that food and it is preservative free, and the process of canning is a lot of fun for me.  Last winter I began canning and just finished up last month.  I now have a lot of freshly canned foods to add to my long term food storage (LTFS) that will eventually be rotated into my working kitchen pantry.

 


I feel it is important that all of my spaces be clean, neat, well organized and aesthetically pleasing and that includes inside my pantry as well as my LTFS area.  It is the best way for me to know what I have on hand and to maintain those items so I limit any potential for spoilage.  It also makes the task of food management much more enjoyable.  Labeling is vital.  I need to know what is inside of those jars and containers and the date it was placed there.  Rotating my stock so I consume, give away or donate the older items first helps me control my food waste.

 


In my pantry and LTFS I have items organized by categories.  Whether they are home canned or store bought items I group them together by type – baking, grains & cereals, canned fruits & vegetables, proteins – meats, beans, peanut butter, etc., condiments & salad dressing, jams, jellies & syrups.  I have a space in my LTFS dedicated for super long term items such as freeze dried foods as well as items I have dehydrated and placed in canning jars with oxygen absorbers.

 


Most of what I am stocking are the components or ingredients to make things with.  I keep readymade options fairly minimal, however I do keep some rice and pasta mixes as well as prepared soups on hand because there are times when I need to be able to prepare a simple meal quickly.  I can take one of those mixes and add a jar of home canned meat and some canned vegetables and it becomes a simple meal I can quickly pull together.

 


My current goal is to maintain a two year food supply which is a combination of my working kitchen pantry and my LTFS (including what is in my deep freezer) for one, occasionally two, people.  In 2017, we had incredible snowfall where help was limited, snowplows couldn’t keep up and roads were a mess, many of them impassable.  In 2020 I realized how tenuous our supply chain could be and how the pandemic has subsequently impacted our economy.  In 2022 I had to retire early due to my health and that has had a major impact on my finances.

 


While I have very little control over these types of situations, what I can do is take care of myself to the best of my ability.  Should I find myself in another lockdown situation or in blizzard conditions I know I can ride it out without needing to go to the stores where the shelves most likely will be bare again as people are panic shopping or stores aren’t getting their regular shipments.  Also, if inflation continues to rise I can protect myself from prices that are beyond what I can easily afford while I look for other options.  If the weather dips below freezing for a long time and my heat bill is exceedingly high I can skip grocery shopping altogether that month to pay the bill.

 


By stocking up with another person in mind I am also able to help someone in need or donate to a food pantry and have the luxury of entertaining guests.  I also have the luxury of enjoying a lot of variety in my meals so boredom won’t set in.  By planning ahead, working hard and staying organized I have a good system in place for good, healthy meals to feed myself and others.

 

8 comments:

  1. I love this. We are stocked up for about a year and it is such a good feeling to know we have what we need if we don't feel like going out, bad weather, unexpected expenses, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great blog topic and you have done a really good job getting organized. I moved last summer so gave away my freezer and pantry contents to the local food bank, but expect to start restocking in December once my condo renovation is complete. And I agree 100%, knowing that I had food in my pantry and all the needed supplies gave me a lot of solace and comfort. Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You will have fun organizing your new space, I'm sure.

      Delete
  3. You've mentioned two important things here -- that you don't HAVE to go out in a blizzard (because you have extras stocked), and you paid the price you wanted to for those items, instead of being forced to pay 'whatever.'
    It's probably why I regularly check in at Amazon's Warehouse Deals. That -- and the free shipping. But I also make an effort to check the weekly ads for our two grocery stores here. If they don't have what I need (or not much), then I don't shop for that week. Thankfully, I keep extras like milk (in the freezer) and eggs (in the fridge).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you tried the shelf stable milk at Dollar Tree! I was quite surprised. It tastes like milk. LOL

      Delete
    2. I will try that! Haven't seen it at 'our' Dollar Tree...but I wasn't looking, either. Will check - thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
    3. My Dollar Tree has it on the bottom shelf where they bottled juices are. Sometimes I think they are out and find it pushed to the back. It's an Easter egg hunt.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.