Friday, November 17, 2023

Christmas Gifting This Year

 


As the Christmas holiday approaches I find myself entering yet another phase of life.  Many, many individual conversations have taken place in recent months, some as far back as last year, and I know within my circle of friends and family that we are all entering a new phase in our lives.

 


Right now, there are no little children to consider, we are all adults with our own homes and fortunately we’ve all been blessed to have what we need.  Most of us are finding ourselves in various degrees of downsizing or decluttering what we have in order to move into a smaller space or just to live more simply.  Some are deeply committed to Swedish Death Cleaning right now, while others just don’t need or want any more stuff in their lives.  Things are changing, we are all evolving and adapting to our current state.

 


Most of my friends and relatives are retired or working their way in that direction so they are focused on living with smaller budgets while saving and investing their money for the future.  I am right there myself.  Others are trying to live within their means so as not to incur debt while working on an education or establishing a career.  I’ve been there as well.

 


We all agree the current recession and skyrocketing prices has impacted us in one form or another and it just seems ridiculous to try to keep up the same old practices for no other reason than to just keep it up.  It isn’t the same anymore.  It isn’t fun to go out and Christmas shop when you’re emotionally or financially stressed out about it.  No one really wants to spend their hard earned cash on over inflated prices for stuff that isn’t all that important anyway.

 


Instead of giving gifts this year we just want to use what we have in our pockets to get together for a meal and enjoy each other’s company and I am thrilled with that idea.  More time spent with friends and family, playing games, watching a movie or just sitting around and visiting.  It just sounds absolutely perfect to me and I couldn’t be more excited about it.

 


I have a few people on my Christmas list that I know would benefit from a gift card to help them with their expenses and I’ll be tucking those into a few greeting cards this year.  I know someone who could use a gift card to fuel their vehicle, another one to get some groceries and one that needs a few things from Home Depot to make life a little easier.  A little something to brighten their holidays and I know they won’t feel obligated to try to return the favor because I’ve made it clear that I don’t want anything from them with the preface “I don’t need another declutter project”.  That is the truth too.

 


Every holiday season I give to the food bank as well as the high school food pantry and I do plan to continue to do that as well as adding some items to the local humane society food drive.  They have a huge need for cat food this year so I want to help out with a contribution.  Other than that I’ll be cooking a little bit, baking some things and spending time with those that are nearest and dearest.  My tree may look a little funny without anything under it (other than some gifts for my kitties), but I do think this is going to be a truly great Christmas season nonetheless.  Best of all, everyone can just breathe a sigh of relief and enjoy the holiday.

 

18 comments:

  1. All of that is what I am steering towards, too. I am keeping it simple this year and buying only for my 4 kids, and I set a lower limit than in years past. I don't have grandkids or extended family. And for the people at work I might make a tray of cookies from the ones I will be baking for Christmas day. Above all, I want Christmas to feel different - less commercial and stressed, more creative and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I want less consumerism during the holidays.

      Delete
  2. YES! This is what we started doing a couple of years ago. We celebrate the holiday season with driving around looking at the lights, game nights, movie nights, snacks and good food at home. For the group that I work with I will make a lunch or boxes of Christmas treats. Celebrating the season and the reason for it is so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simplifying Christmas is truly in my heart. Oh my goodness, I want nothing to do with THINGS! But my DH's love language is Gifts (mine is Service, lol). He will not hear of downsizing Christmas; he cannot fathom the notion. And I can't change who he is.

    So my plan is to bring the family together with projects (gingerbread houses!), card & board games, walks in the cold, fires in the fireplace, waffles for breakfast, hot cocoa, baking cookies, and more. All the simple pleasures of the season; something to enjoy every day of the Twelve Days of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds lovely. I wish we would do this. We’ve suggested going out to eat prior to Christmas but no one wants to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. My husband and I have wanted to downsize or eliminate the Christmas gifts for years, but other family members won't agree to that, even when they are strapped for cash.

      Delete
  5. I love this post. And I totally agree. I still have little grandkids who will get nice gifts, but otherwise, I want to relax and enjoy the season. I have a new cookie recipe to try and a new to me fruitcake recipe to try. If they are good, those might be my token gifts to others this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christmas is really for kids as far as the gifts go and they don't require much. In my opinion.

      Delete
  6. oh yeah, I meant to say, you can wrap a few empty boxes to put under your tree. Have fun decorating the packages. Then throw them out! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this, and very similar to what we do in my family (minus the kids. We still buy for the kids, up through those in college). It makes Christmas so relaxing & fun,and you don't leave with a bunch of stuff you don't want/need, and extra bills to pay for gifts someone else feels similarly about. We do gift experiences for things like Mother's Day & birthdays, but try to avoid physical gifts as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm trending more towards gifts I make. And gift baskets of favorite foods (some I make) and little gifts tucked in the baskets usually thrifted gifts & thrifted baskets) . Everyone I gift to I know very well so don't give stuff just to give stuff. I give them gifts they enjoy getting and often ask for anyway.

    We see family regularly so I don't neccesarily need to add more activities (more to do! That can stress me out!) But I will add extra touches like a special cookie when they come for regular Sunday dinner. Maybe go see Santa (with the littles). We always cut a tree then get lunch out.

    I've pared down decorations in the house. But I have purchased more this year! Lol. I got rid of decorations that really had no meaning to me other than when I got them I liked them. A couple of years ago I thrifted several Dept 56 houses that I really like. So I found a few for this year ($6-8). I really do like lighting them up around the house. And putting them away after Christmas is so much easier than wrapping up and making sure all the small things are secure in the bins. I'll probably purge a few more things this year.

    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your ideas sound just lovely. You've put a lot of thought into everything.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.