Wednesday, November 15, 2023

I Replaced My Car

 


Unlike when I sold my chest freezer and then ended up missing it I have yet to miss or have any second thoughts about selling my car.  I still feel it was the right decision for me.  With the freezer however, I really did miss having a deep freeze, especially as the freezer on my side by side refrigerator is rather small.  Last summer I ended up getting a small upright freezer and I’ve been really happy with that decision.

 


As the lone driver in my household my truck is more than adequate at this time to meet my needs.  Having a car and a truck, for the amount of actual driving I do, was overkill and although my vehicles are all paid for I still could not justify the expense of licensing, insuring, operating and maintaining that many vehicles.  I do like to have a backup vehicle if I need one and honestly, I could use my motorhome if it came to that.  Or, I could use the city bus.  Or, even better, I could ride my bike.  Or… I could invest in an e-bike.

 


I’ve been considering and looking at electric bikes since before I retired, but they are rather expensive and I was having a hard time pulling the trigger and buying one.  I was afraid I’d spend all that money and end up not liking and ultimately not using it.  I sure didn’t want to risk wasting that much money.  However, in September I was able to get one on sale for about half the price from Walmart.com.  It is a Schwinn mountain bike, I’ve never had a mountain bike before, and it is that beautiful bright lime green that I love so much.  My first impression - I love this thing!

 

I stripped down a kids bike trailer and added this wood platform

The main reason I was considering an e-bike was to use as a second source of transportation.  A after I sold the car I had the funds to spend so at the time it seemed like a no-brainer, but still, I hesitated.  I just wasn’t 100% sold on the idea.  But, the more I thought about it the more it began to make sense, especially when I began to struggle riding my current bicycle.  I’ve had my bicycle for nearly thirty years.  I bought it at a yard sale for $15 and it has been a wonderful bike.  It is a JC Penney city cruiser and is the same age as me.  It is also green.  Several years ago I converted a kid’s bike trailer into a cargo trailer so I can take it to the store and pick up groceries and supplies and it works really well.  However, as time goes on and I am getting older I haven’t been using either one much and yet, I really wanted to.

 

I then added this bin with a snap tight lid

Just before I turned twenty years old I had a stroke and my left side is weaker as a result.  I’ve worked really hard all my life to get to and stay at a point that it hasn’t affected too me overly much.  The hardest things for me to do are climb stairs (or a hill) and the one thing I’ve struggled with the most is to ride a bicycle.  That has been the hardest for me.  Since my heart attacks in 2021, it has been even harder and this year, although my strength, stamina and endurance have greatly improved, my ability to ride my bicycle has actually diminished.  At some point you just have to call it what it is and make a change so you can continue to do and enjoy the things you love.  So I pulled the trigger and bought an e-bike.

 

I am able to haul quite a bit!

I love that I can still ride a bike.  I can start out and ride like normal and when I feel like I need a little help to peddle I just turn on the peddle assist mode and I can keep going.  Before, I wouldn’t ride if it was windy at all because I couldn’t peddle very well if I had to ride head on into the wind and I was careful not go where there were any hills or steeper inclines.  The last time I rode my regular bicycle the wind picked up and I had to stop often and rest.  By the time I got home I was completely exhausted and my left leg gave out on me in my driveway.  I knew if I wanted to continue riding a bike I needed some help.

 

Both bikes fit neatly into the same space in my garage
Note the upgraded gel padded seat!

The cargo trailer hitch adapter fits on the e-bike so I can still use it too, which makes me extremely happy.  Now I can ride my bike, go more places, do more things and I can go further, even on a breezy day.  I also have that additional source of transportation which is really important to me.  My only complaint so far about this e-bike is that the seat that came in it is HARD as a rock.  I remedied that immediately by replacing the seat with a wider padded one so my fanny is much, much happier.

 

A future purchase

As time goes on I may add a headlight and taillight, although right now I do not plan to ride at night. I may had a basket onto the front or a cargo attachment to the back.  I haven’t quite decided yet if I want a speedometer, but that might be a fun addition.  It is a zippy little thing and I almost scared myself when I initially tested it out.  I do know a water bottle is high on the priority list.  One must stay hydrated.

 

I also have one of these safety jackets

As just a bicycle it is a really nice bike.  With the pedal assist as an electric bike it takes me to a whole other level.  I am absolutely thrilled.

 

16 comments:

  1. What a great idea! This seems like a wise decision, plus really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Good for you! I admire your focus, discipline and positive outlook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Make sure and check your insurance. Homeowners did not cover our neighbors e-bike when they got stolen from the back of their truck in their driveway. In our state apparently you have to include e-bikes in your auto insurance. Nancy in Vancouver WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've opted not to cover mine under an insurance policy. The amount I spent on it is less than my deductible.

      Delete
  4. If I storage room I’d get an e-bike too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun. Kniw you will enjoy this. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two years into widowhood and I wish I had your confidence! I have a truck and several other big items I want to sell. Paring down what I own is the goal but I feel paralyzed to start. Love the bike and your can do spirit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand. Try starting with just one thing and see how it goes. Maybe ask a friend to help you. You'll get there. :0)

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful vehicle! You must be having the time of your life with it. I think it's a grand purchase and if anybody can get maximum use out of one, it's you. Pedal (assist) on! :^)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.