Monday, December 18, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 89

 


Well my friends, I’m finding as the year is winding down, I feel pulled to complete a few unfinished projects around my house.  The photo album project continues and I know that is going to take me awhile, however I have also had a project in mind ever since I refreshed the downstairs bathroom.

 


In the past I’ve updated underneath my kitchen sink as well as the upstairs bathroom sink.  Cabinetry underneath a sink seems to just get so gross and becomes difficult to clean and keep clean.  Several years ago I cleaned out and thoroughly scrubbed the kitchen cabinet under the sink and even painted the inside of the cabinet to brighten it up so I could see better.  It had been so dark and dingy under there.  I then bought some peel and stick vinyl tiles and covered the bottom of the cabinet to not only better protect the wood, but also make is so much easier to wiped down and clean.  I have never regretted this change, other than to think I wish I’d done it much sooner.

 


The cabinet stays clean and fresh, no more moisture or odors under there so it only made sense to do the upstairs bathroom vanity when I did the refresh and upgrades.  Once again, I’ve had no regrets for that upgrade as well.  So when I refreshed the downstairs bathroom last spring it only made sense that I should do that vanity as well, especially as it was a bit gnarly under there.  Unfortunately i wasn’t a priority at that time as I had many other projects to work on this year.  But I finally got it done last week and I love it!  Now all of the cabinets under the sinks in my house are clean, organized and easy to maintain.  I am absolutely thrilled!

 


I used leftover tiles from the hall closet project (love, love, love how that turned out) which was definitely rated as a higher priority project for me at the time so it didn’t cost me anything out of pocket to complete.  I also used containers I already had for organizing and containing the items I like to keep under there, which includes extra rolls of toilet paper, my cleaning rags, some comet, a pumice stone and a scrub sponge for the toilet and most importantly the first aid kit, which also includes the over the counter medications.  Can you tell I’m excited about having this done?

 

All neat & tidy!

Simple things really can make a difference and that was especially true of the evening out that I enjoyed after scoring free tickets to the Winter Garden A Glow event.  We made it a touch more special by going out for a hamburger and a peppermint frosty at Wendy’s prior to attending since I worked that afternoon until 5:00 and it just made my life a bit easier not to have to run home and fix supper and then go all the way back across town in only an hour.  Plus, I cannot tell you how long it has been since I’ve been to Wendy’s or had a frosty and I’ve never had the peppermint flavor before.  It has to have been at least ten years or better.  It brought back memories of taking my girls there once on Halloween and because they were in costume they had received a free frosty with their meal which made them very happy.  I just recently put a picture of them from that night into an album.  Oh how fast time flies.

 

My supervisor was anything but helpful

I signed up to be a secret Santa for a senior citizen so I made my way to Wal-Mart to purchase a gift for that person.  I discovered it is really difficult to buy a gift for someone you do not know.  I sure hope she likes it.  Also, my poor aunt in Arizona has been having a really rough time this year so I surprised her with a Wal-Mart grocery delivery (my first one ever) filled with snacking goodies to enjoy as well as everything she needs for her Christmas dinner.  It is a lot of fun being Santa!

 

Homemade cream of broccoli soup & a grilled cheese

The remainder of my week was spent working on the photo album project between work shifts and other tasks I needed to do around the house.  It was a really busy week, but very nice and enjoyable overall.  How was your week?

 

8 comments:

  1. I need a good recipe for broccoli cheddar soup. I’ve tried one. It was okay. That lunch looks good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be posting my recipe in the new year. Maybe you will like that one. ;)

      Delete
  2. That was so sweet of you to adopt a senior at Christmas and help out your aunt. I know she greatly appreciated that! I think that's what makes Christmas so much fun...being able to help others and brighten their spirits. I would have never thought about peel and stick tile under the sink area, but now you are giving me ideas! I'm so glad you treated yourself to Wendy's and a fun night out. I had Wendy's today for the first time in probably two years, and it was pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was thanks to you that I put down self-stick vinyl tiles under my kitchen sink! Such an easy project, and it looks so good. Even got some decluttering done at the same time, LOL! Lotta bang for the buck on that idea--thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that worked out for you. Sure does make a difference. ;o)

      Delete
  4. You are the Sweetest,Nicest person. Know your aunt really appreciated your help.
    And being Secret Santa for the lady. I just bet she loved what you chose..
    I will be doing peel and stick tiles under my sink. Ty for a great idea. My cabinets are white, but under the sink ,someone painted puke green. Terrible!!! So I need to paint first. 😆

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be a great project for the new year! Just think how good it will feel once you are done to open up that cabinet. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.