Friday, March 1, 2024

Low Spend - Living & Dining Room Refresh

 


In 2018 I did a huge upgrade in my living room.  I took everything out of it, added some trim and then painted the walls and the ceiling, added a tiled entry way in front of the door, gave the fireplace a refresh and replaced the carpet.  That same year I also upgraded the dining room.  Not only did I paint the walls and ceiling but I also added trim and wainscoting.  It was an amazing home improvement project and once it was done I was thrilled with the results.

 

I took this photo before I got started and even included
my paper crafting mess on the dining room table

My Amazon order

It has been six years now and since then very little about this room has changed except that I’ve been steadily removing items as part of the big decluttering project I did last year.  I’ve really enjoyed how much this space has opened up however, I was ready for a little bit of a change up in here.  Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love my living room and dining room, however I feel a little bit of a refresh is always nice so we can continue to stay in love with our spaces.

 

Another before shot

And after

Since I’m on a low spend 2024 challenge I knew that any changes I decided to make needed to be done on a slim budget.  The items I’ve chosen to keep after decluttering I still very much wanted to keep, but I did want to tweak them a bit so I ordered a new slipcover for my sofa and a new one for my recliner.  It was a subtle change that really refreshed this room.  I then rearranged what was left.  I had taken down the mirror over the fireplace as well as my sword from the wall, but after much reconsideration I definitely wanted to add them back as well as some decorative artwork I used to have hanging over the sofa.

 

I love it!


The dining room was super simple.  I had ordered some new seat covers for the chairs so I simply switched them out after giving the room its quarterly cleaning.  After that I rehung my great grandmother’s picture that used to hang in her little living room.  I really love that picture.  It is amazing to me what a few simple little changes like that can do for a room.

 

Ta da!

I thought these were really pretty

I am very happy with the final results

Using a $25 gift card I had earned by doing surveys last year I applied it to the order I placed on Amazon for the slipcovers and used items I already had on hand to finish off this project.  My final total came in at $57 to refresh two rooms in my house.  I’m just thrilled and amazed by this little project.  So what do think?  How did I do?

 

20 comments:

  1. I really love those slipcovers, and bonus points if they are washable. I think its good to see our spaces with fresh eyes and a refresh makes the space feel so new. My new mantra is "addition by subtraction" meaning I got rid of so much of the clutter in my home, not to mention the decor items that reflected my late MIL's style, not my own. Every time I make a change, I think "YES, I am on the right track". Good job with your refresh - it looks great and the price was definitely right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally washable slipcovers, only way to go. You are doing amazing things too. Great work Gina!

      Delete
  2. Looks very nice! Those dining chair covers really change the look! -- Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing what a spruce can do for a room. It looks awesome. I love the dining room chair slipcovers. They really add a nice pop of color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love those dining chairs. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh, what cute slipcovers. You have excellent taste! The dining chairs look especially bright and happy. Well done on the whole refresh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Teresa. I do love these dining chair slipcovers. They are my favorite part. :)

      Delete
  6. (Little Penpen) I love it all! Especially the dining room chair covers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks great!! Love the slip covers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all the changes. I recently did something similar to my living room as it was still giving ex-husband vibes. I went bright and cheerful with slipcovers, new pillow covers and new curtains. I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad you did that. Enjoy your new style!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.