Saturday, December 30, 2023

My Uncluttered Life

 


One year ago I began going through my entire house on a massive decluttering journey.  Every nook and cranny of my home was gone through and when I was done I literally started over and began again.  And then I did it yet again.  I was amazed at how much stuff I pulled out of this house after I’d already done a huge decluttering several years ago and thought I was doing a good job managing what was coming back in.  However, after working full time and raising my children I’d amassed far more stuff than I’d care to admit.

 


I was ruthless, to say the least.  I even tackled the sentimental stuff which I must say was the hardest part of this process, but also very satisfying once it was completed.  Sentimental items are often boxed up and tucked away somewhere, but we always know they are there.  And they nag.  It is always in the back of our minds that we know we need to deal with that stuff.

 


My mantra throughout the process was that if I didn’t like it, need it or want it, it had to go.  If it wasn’t all that attractive or didn’t make me feel good then I didn’t like it.  If it didn’t fit or I no longer used it, then I didn’t want it.  If it didn’t serve any useful purpose or I had multiples then I didn’t need it.  Having that mantra helped my decision making to become much, much easier.

 


I hauled off four truckloads of stuff to the donation drop at the thrift store.  I gave away tons of stuff for FREE on Facebook which blessed many, many people.  I filled up my trash and recycle wheelie bins countless times and sent them to the curb.  I took old technology to the recycler.  I brought old paint, chemicals and used CFL light bulbs to the hazardous waste drop off site.  Ultimately I hauled a very full truckload of junk to the county landfill.  I even sold some stuff, including a car!

 


Once I had culled all of my belongings I began to go through and organize these things.  Not surprisingly I still got rid of more stuff as I did this.  I put up shelves, painted a closet and my pantry.  I redid an entire room to serve me better.  I reorganized my clothes closet so it now functions better for me in my current stage of life.  I cleared out and reorganized the garage, my backyard and the deck so all of those spaces are much more enjoyable.

 


I cleared out my emails, unsubscribed from a bunch of stuff, stopped paying attention to social media and the news so much and have regular periods of time off from my cellphone.  I deleted tons of stuff off my computer that I no longer needed.  I archived and backed up what I wanted to keep onto a new thumb drive.  I don’t bring junk mail into the house, it goes right into the recycling wheelie bin, and I address other mail right away by filing or shredding it.  I don’t allow paper clutter to accumulate.

 


It is much easier and faster to clean my house and keep it organized and tidy.  I don’t need to spring clean or devote long periods of time to taking care of a mess.  I spend more time doing projects and crafts that I enjoy doing.  I relax more, I breathe better and I feel less stressed and anxious in my home and the outside spaces.  My entire yard is much easier to manage.  When I look out my windows now I smile because things are good out there and it makes me happy.  I have a lot of pride and confidence in my entire home and property.  Anyone can show up anytime and I wouldn’t feel apprehensive or embarrassed.

 


I feel a lot of peace and contentment with where I’m at and what I have.  Having less stuff makes me want less stuff too.  I don’t feel like I want or need to shop for items to bring into the house.  In fact, whenever I do think I might want something I take the time to really think about it first and decide whether it is truly something I wish to have or just a fleeting thought.  In most cases I realize it is the latter.  What I already have is good enough.

 


I have no regrets whatsoever that I devoted the better part of a year getting rid of stuff and reorganizing my house and yard because I know my efforts will continue to bless me for many years to come.  In the process I’ve truly made a home for myself.

 

 

 

8 comments:

  1. You did a great job, and was a real encouragement to me. Thankyou. I too decluttered lots, and still go through and occasionally find more. My house seems so much easier to keep clean. And easier to find what I need, as everything has a home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad to hear this. I too love the "easy to keep clean" part. It is so much nicer!

      Delete
  2. I have SO enjoyed reading your decluttering journey and I'm really glad you documented it all here. You have done an amazing job! I know the peace it gives you is all worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So refreshing to see someone appreciate and enjoy what you already have! You have given me some food for thought as we approach the New Year. Health and happiness to you and yours! Best, Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have so enjoyed your decluttering posts, and this wrap-up. My husband retired from the military last year, and during his active duty years, we had to move a lot - which meant annual decluttering to "make weight" for the moves. Now that we've been in our new-to-us home for over a year, the holiday season was a great time for everyone to declutter. We now know more about what fits where in this house, what we truly need and don't need, and so forth. So more has actually gone out the door, even with it done before we packed in 2022 and as we unpacked a few months later. My husband has even tackled the garage and made a bunch of space - so nice!

    Here's to a clean, clear slate for 2024!
    ~Melonie K.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here, here! You two have done an amazing job. Happy New Year!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.