Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Filtering Out What Doesn't Fit

 


As many of you know I’ve been on a HUGE decluttering journey as well as a HUGE pantry challenge and as of this very moment I’m still working diligently on these two things.  Last week I told you about my top three priorities for my life.  I wish to seriously make those three priorities, exactly that, a priority.

 

Loads of stuff has been given away, donated, recycled or tossed

In order to do that I’ve had to make some big decisions and I find myself literally filtering out what no longer fits in my life, hence all the massive decluttering.  I’ve been looking at my home and my things with a new set of eyes and there have been a lot of what I refer to as “reality checks” lately.

 

Piles of scrap wood have been given away

The reality is that I no longer need most of the stuff I have owned over the years.  It doesn’t fit anymore.  Systematically I have gone through clothing and shoes, linens, toiletries, office supplies, cleaning supplies, craft and sewing supplies, tools and hardware, dishes and glassware, scrapwood and project materials, you name it, I’ve gone through it.  I’ve given so much stuff away, recycled bin after bin and even sent a few bins of items to the landfill.  I keep finding more stuff!

 

A vehicle I wasn't driving now has a new home

I only need so many things to cook my meals, fix stuff, create stuff, clean stuff and dress myself.  The rest is just not necessary.  My goal is to streamline my possessions down to the point that I only have what I need, want and use on a regular basis.  I will only keep things that add enjoyment to my life and fulfill a useful purpose.  By doing this I will no longer be encumbered by extraneous items and clutter which will free me up for the things I really want to focus my time and attention to, enhancing my quality of life.

 

I keep coming back to this, it really is true

Will I become a minimalist?  While I may be minimizing and streamlining my possessions I don’t see myself really becoming a minimalist.  There are certain items I find myself keeping just because I like them and enjoy them which is completely fine.  I have a lot of arts and crafts supplies, a lot of sewing supplies and I love dishes and recipe books so there is more of that than what I truly need.  But, I don’t need clothing I do not wear, piles of scrap wood I likely won’t use, extra linens for beds no one sleeps in or furniture no one sits on, Christmas china I don’t plan to use, a car I rarely drive or old technology that is no longer needed.  Those are the things that weigh me down and make me a little anxious, they just no longer fit in my life.  Now I have room for the things that do.

 

 

10 comments:

  1. I have always enjoyed and learned from your blog but since you have retired it has become pretty genius. I especially needed the decluttering series. I not a hoarder but something came over me during the pandemic. I have amassed too much and now I am giving or selling what I know we will not need or use away. I am beginning to feel lighter and that feels awesome. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so happy for you Tracy. I agree with the lightness and freer feeling that is experienced when we get rid of the extra stuff in our lives that isn't needed anymore. Things change, we change too. Thank you for following along with me.

      Delete
  2. Hello! Just found you! I think it was through Bluebirds Nesting. I've been an empty nester since September. My life circumstances have changed a lot. We're having a yard sale this weekend as the first step in reducing to what fits our life now. I just signed up to follow you. Please visit me at HarvestLaneCottage.com.
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm catching up on your last few posts and you're inspiring me to do some more decluttering. And congratulations on selling your car! It sounds like someone got a great deal! I like your top 3 priorities too. Especially the creativity one. When times are too busy and I've not had any time to create, I feel a restlessness. Once I realized it was a lack of just taking time to create, write, or make something creative, I started making that a priority in my week. Even just 30 minutes at my craft table can make a huge difference in how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some form of creativity is vital for everyone. I'm glad you are making it a priority. :0)

      Delete
  4. I’m kind of struggling with decluttering and knowing how much to keep. I don’t want to declutter my food stocks but for sure I need to look at all the other areas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't declutter your food stocks either unless you happen to find something you don't like or know you wouldn't use. I did go through and get rid of that type of stuff. As far as everything else goes I just started doing small sessions of time in each area of my home and got rid of what I felt was right. The more you do it the stronger your decluttering muscles get and it gets easier.

      Delete
  5. Thankyou for your blog, and the encouragement, I get from your blog.Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.