Monday, January 1, 2024

My Tireless Retirement – Week 91

 


Happy, Happy New Year Everyone!!!  Welcome to 2024!

 


I am super excited about this brand new year we have ahead of us with so many possibilities to come.  I have loads of little goals and projects in mind and today I officially start my 2024 grocery challenge as well as my low spend/no spend challenges.  I have a feeling it is going to be a busy, but very fulfilling year for me.  After much success in 2023 I’m really going to challenge 2024 by sticking with last year’s mantra “no bad days”.  I’m certain this year is going to be absolutely fabulous!

 

Lots of healthy food choices are in my future

After going back on Keto last summer I lost twelve pounds, most of which was fluid retention, but I sure felt a lot better.  My clothes fit me once again and I have had a lot more energy.  This year I’m hoping to lose another six pounds which will get me back to where I was prior to my heart attacks in 2021.  I do take a couple of medications with some pretty bothersome side effects so if I can’t make it happen, I’ll be okay with it, but I’d still like to try.  Getting back to where I was, or at least as close as reasonably possible, is part of my goal to be healthy and enjoy a better quality of life.  But, I know there are some limitations that are beyond my control and I’ve made my peace with that.

 

One of my favorite breakfast choices I enjoy on occasion

Typically, between Thanksgiving and Christmas day, I will allow myself to indulge in whatever I wish as far as food goes, but to be honest, after less than two weeks I was pretty much over it.  It is just too much junk and rich foods and it doesn’t take me long before I start to feel really icky and gross.  I’m super excited though with my new food goals for this year.  After doing some more research, reading up again on the Mayo Clinic recommendations and going over my ideas with my nutritionist we’ve come up with something a touch less restrictive than Keto that will not only please me, but the cardiologist too which should make everybody happy.  I’ll be sharing more of that in some upcoming posts, but let’s just say it is going to be delicious!

 

My latest project in full swing

It was a super busy week for me.  Along with the weekend and Christmas day I had the day after Christmas off and then worked the next three days, one full day and two half days.  In between the Christmas festivities and working I also did some more decluttering and reorganizing of my craft supplies.  I was also able to devote some substantial time to working on my photo album project and made some amazing progress.  One of my goals this year is to use stuff up, particularly my craft and sewing supplies.  The photo album project as well as making up my new journal and updating my day planner has allowed me to make a good dent in my paper crafting supplies, but I’d still like to use up a lot more of my stash.

 

I got the ham I had purchased the previous
week all cut up and packaged for the freezer

This year I am going to focus a lot more attention on myself and just take better care of me, both emotionally and physically.  Even if it means stepping outside my comfort zone a little bit.  I signed up to take five classes (all free and offered at the public library) over the month and on into February - three yoga classes and two different gardening classes – organic gardening and xeriscaping.  I’m excited about that and what I may learn.  I haven’t done any formal type of an in person yoga class since I was in high school so I’m sure I will be learning something new there.

 

Housekeeping checklist updated and ready for 2024

Yesterday, on New Year’s Eve day I gathered up and put away all of the holiday décor.  After a quick dusting and a run of the vacuum cleaner I had everything back in order and looking good.  I am still amazed at how quickly I am able to get things done around here and keep my home clean and tidy.  After some tweaking and updating to my quarterly checklist I went ahead and printed off some new copies so I am all ready to get started on a new one this month.

 

Jack helped me with the decluttering and reorganizing

I am very happy with all I was able to accomplish in the final week of 2023.  Like I said, I have loads of ideas, thoughts, plans and goals in mind, however I know that it is important to take life one day at a time and really focus on the day at hand.  I don’t want to get so swept up in tasks that I’m not able to see and enjoy all that the day has to offer me.

 

I received so many pretty cards in the mail this year!

How are you feeling about the year ahead?  Have you set some goals for 2024 that you are hoping to accomplish?  How about any challenges?  What is your greatest hope for this year?  Let’s make it a great one, shall we?

8 comments:

  1. Last year my goal and prayer was for healing, emotionally and physically, and I'm happy to say that much progress was made, thank God. This year I want to continue that, and add one more thing. My goal is to re-home all of the things I've inherited that I don't want or need. I've worked on this, slowly, over the last couple years, but I want to finish in 2024. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just over ten years ago I made the hard decisions and got rid of the bulk of items I had inherited. I was so hard. Since then I've managed to cull the rest of the items I no longer wished to keep. My goal last year was to get through it and be done and I got there. You will too. You have some great goals for 2024. Like you I'll be continuing with physical and emotional healing, it is a process and so far so good. What a difference a year makes! XX

      Delete
  2. 2023 has been rough with many health challenges. I have a lot of healing to do. My biggest goal for 2024 is finding a great job with benefits and retirement. I am 52 and really need this job in order to have some peace and stability in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can relate, my rough year was 2021 and it slopped over into 2022. I'm praying you find the job you are hoping for.

      Delete
  3. Your optimism is infectious! I want to replace the thoughts in my head so that they come true in a positive way - its so hard to get into that habit, but once I start I can see life manifesting in better ways! New Year's Day is my favorite holiday. There are so many possibilities and I always spend time in January cleaning and organizing, which I love. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gina. You can totally make it happen. Happy cleaning and organizing!

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to your food posts about "something a touch less restrictive than Keto that will not only please me, but the cardiologist too" that I can use as inspiration. Wishing you and all the readers a luscious 2024!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.