Monday, March 11, 2024

My Tireless Retirement – Week 101

 


Wow!  Holy cow!  I had a great week! March has definitely come in like a lion on all fronts.  We started off with very windy, stormy and snowy weather.  It continued to snow and blow pretty much all week, not spring like at all!  Nonetheless my week was still amazing!

 

I didn't let stormy skies keep me from my mission


Winco is located across the street from our courthouse


I think this is so cool!

One day last week, even though I had the day off and in spite of the weather, I hopped on the bus, went downtown and walked over to Winco to do my “big” grocery shopping.  I came home with a few things strategically placed in my backpack and the rest of it divided up between two shopping bags.  I even stopped along the way to admire the scenery and snap a few pictures.  I was super excited to score another pot roast on markdown for my upcoming canning project.  It was a doozie too, four and a half pounds!

 

I made it and I had a surprisingly great time! 😀

Not a bad haul!

This purchase alone made the trip worth it!

On New Year’s Day I treated myself to something I have wanted very much for a long, long time.  A ticket to Shen Yun!  Sunday the 3rd was the day and oh my gosh, it was wonderful.  Worth every penny and I absolutely loved it!  The performance was held during a snowstorm, of course, but I made it there with no problems.

 

I loved this show so much!!


I made the trip even more worth it by loading my glass recycling into the truck before I left and then on the way home I stopped at Albertson’s and dropped it off in the big collection bin they have in their parking lot.  Then I went inside and picked up my prescriptions at their pharmacy before going over to the seafood section and grabbing a pound of frozen and vacuum sealed salmon fillets that I got with a digital coupon for only $4.79.  Another score!

 

This movie is fabulous!

Tuesday I went to the cheap seat movie theater and saw The Boys In The Boat.  Oh my gosh, that is a great movie.  I heartily recommend it.  If you have the opportunity to go to Shen Yun I recommend that as well.

 

A new journal I made using a spiral notebook


I used some lace to make a pocket
on the inside cover

In between my work schedule, my social schedule and my housekeeping tasks I did get in some paper crafting and started making myself a new daily journal with a vintage sewing theme.  I may be using this one for my journal in 2025, I haven’t quite decided yet.  If I do this would definitely be the earliest I’ve made one in preparation of a new year.  Regardless, it has been a fun project to work on.

 

I got this for $4.79!

Ways I Saved $$: 

I made my trip to the Shen Yun performance really count by also combining it with a few errands – dropping off the glass recyclables, picked up my prescriptions and used a digital coupon to add a on pound package of salmon fillets to my deep freezer. 

I took advantage of the Tuesday $2 a seat special at the movie theater.  I did not buy any snacks or soda, I did sneak in a water bottle and a granola bar. 

My hair grows really fast so I trimmed my hair saving myself a bundle plus tip on a trip to the salon. 


My BFF hooked me up!

I decorated for Easter using only items I already had on hand. 

Gas prices leaped another 10¢ a gallon here, literally overnight.  I kept my driving to a minimum and combined errands as much as possible when I did drive someplace.  The rest of the week I used the bus.  I’ve even inspired my boss to start riding!  Yay!

I had no food waste last week.  In fact, I can’t think of anything that was wasted around here including my time.  That’s pretty awesome!

 


Meals I Prepared: 

At the beginning of my week I had one leftover meatloaf meal in the fridge, one serving of chili con carne leftover from the previous week, a can of clam chowder from the pantry, a container of  minestrone soup and one of beef barley soup from the freezer, two frozen servings of leftover pasta that I had made in February, four low carb dinner rolls that I buttered and toasted in my mini electric skillet, as well as two servings of taco filling in the freezer and some leftover corn tortillas in the fridge, plus I made fresh green salads as well as steamed asparagus to go along with all of those meals.  It was a delicious week and no additional cooking required.  Perfect for a very busy and full week.  Go me!

 


I hope everyone is doing well.  How has your week been?  Did you score any great deals at the grocery store?  Seen any good movies lately?  Is your weather as crazy as ours has been lately? 

FYI - My retirement week runs from Friday through Thursday.

 

8 comments:

  1. I have to say I am impressive with your roast-buying skills and it does sounds like you are making the best of all of your intentions. That's my goal, too! Last week had its ups and downs, but I am moving forward with getting the things done for my home that have been put off for too long and that means $$. As long as I am still working, I will forge ahead with it. Once I retire, these big projects will be far less affordable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you believe that roast?! I was thrilled. Before I retired I set aside $$ for big projects I know will need to be done, but not yet. That gives me a lot of peace of mind knowing I've got it covered. Thank you Gina for your constant encouragement, it means a lot to me. XX

      Delete
  2. Gas jumped for me from $2.99 to $3.29. Why? Crazy!
    Love that journal

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed, "Boys In the Boat" was fabulous. A must see! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m always promising myself that I will treat myself to Shen Yun. I saw some previews on YouTube, and the talent is phenomenal! Really no excuse, since it’s in pretty much every venue in my immediate area every year! You scored on that pot Roast, Bravo! Best, Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Treat yourself! You deserve it and this is a must see. Absolutely beautiful. :)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.