Friday, May 3, 2024

2024 Garden Plans Update

 


Not everything goes as planned and that is quite alright.  My seeds I planted didn’t do to well and they were brand new seeds.  The ones that did come up didn’t come up looking quite normal, a lot of them didn’t come up at all and my soil I had bought was buggy.  I had all kinds of little gnats flying around so I dumped the whole lot and now it is time to come up with plan B.

 

A winter's worth of bunny poo

We've got worms!

I make no claims that I am any kind of gardener, but I do love to have a fresh homegrown tomato in the summertime.  And my zucchini last summer was the best I’ve ever had so I want to plant those again.  Last year I think I did fairly well when I bought some bedding plants at the store so I think that is what I will be doing again this year.

 


The soil in my raised garden beds looks amazing this year.  I have earthworms galore!  After dumping the bunny’s litter bins on top of the beds all winter long I turned the soil and was just amazed at how dark and fluffy it was.  Usually it is rather compact after the winter and not a chore I enjoy doing as it is a lot of work, but this year I got it all done in nothing flat and it was rather enjoyable.

 

Garden beds are ready for planting


Because I am going to need to buy plant starts and because I am on a slim budget this year I decided not to add the extra raised bed I had originally planned to install and will just wait until next year.  I’m not sad about it.  I have plenty of garden space to grow the things I want this year.

 

I planted garlic last fall and it appears to be doing well

I'm going to transplant some of this vinca into the backyard

I was hoping to be able to grow my own flowers from seeds this year, but that didn’t quite work out.  That is okay because I’ve come to the conclusion that I do a lot better with perennials so I’m going to be focusing my attention in that direction and add a few more to my flower beds and maybe even a new shrub or two.  I also have some perennials and ground cover to break up and transplant to different areas so that won’t cost me anything but my time.

 

After this little success I want to plant more bulbs in the fall


Regardless of my black thumb, my yard is doing well and I am thrilled with the progress I’ve made so far.  The garlic I planted in the fall as well as the daffodils all seem to be doing amazing.  I want to continue to maintain what I’ve done and expand my way into the backyard and gussy it up some more back there.  Little bit by little bit I am creating the spaces outside that I’ve always dreamed about.  What are some of the things you have planned for your yard this year?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.