Wednesday, April 10, 2024

One More Super Thrifty Year!

 


I had always planned to retire early.  Originally I had planned to retire at the age of 58, however after a few heart attacks, you tend to reevaluate things in your life a bit.  I worked one more year after that and during that time I got all my ducks lined up in a row and did some major planning and financial calculating.

 


If I had stuck to my original plan I knew I’d be able to do it if I was super thrifty those first two years.  For me that was entirely worth it to be able to retire early.  After all the health issues I had in 2021 I quickly realized that if I didn’t do something different I may not make it to my retirement date.  Instead I decided to be super, super thrifty for three years and I retired on April 1, 2022.  Looking back I can tell you it was the best decision I could’ve made.

 


Prior to retirement I filled up my pantry and deep freezer, stockpiled my LTFS and stocked my linen closet with toilet paper, tissues, toiletries, housekeeping supplies and laundry products.  During the year leading up to my retirement I lived very frugally and put away as much as I possibly could into savings.  I set budgets and set aside money for things I knew I’d need to take care of or projects I had planned to finish in that first year.  I did everything I could to prepare and be ready.

 


This year I will turn 60 in September and I celebrated my 59½ years this past March which means I have full access to any of my retirement accounts without penalties for early withdrawal.  My plan for the next year is to continue to live as I’ve been doing for the previous two and not touch any of those accounts.  Instead I am using those funds to invest and grow my wealth.  The current rate of inflation (the cost of goods and services) has impacted all of us.  It has meant more belt tightening and making any necessary changes to stay within those budgets I set for myself before I signed my papers at work and left my job.  I need to protect my wealth and make sure my retirement plans continue.

 

Let's see where this takes us!

Now I am embarking on my final year of super, super thrifty living and I’m really happy to have all of you along with me on this journey.  It really helps to have the support of friends and other likeminded individuals.  I know I am not alone.  We can totally do this!

 

 

12 comments:

  1. This is super impressive!!! I'm constantly inspired by how you plan, come up with creative ideas, and work hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have done a wonderful job. I'm 57 and do not have solid plans yet when I will retire. For the last couple of years though I have focused on paying everything off, stocking up and saving as much money as possible. I figure doing all I can to put things in place will be a great asset once I do decide to retire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doing as much as you can ahead of time makes it so much easier to start off with.

      Delete
  3. You’ve done a great job! If you don’t want to answer don’t but prior to this new job were you living off savings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had already set aside funds to be used for what I needed the first three years plus I have an emergency fund. I do keep those funds in my savings account and parcel them out each quarter of the year.

      Delete
  4. Your retirement journey has been inspiring to me! I am 58 and officially applied for my August 1st early retirement yesterday. It is exciting and scary at the same time if that makes any sense. Frugality, using a lot of your tips by the way, and becoming completely debt free is the reason I am able to take this step. It was hard at times but definitely worth the sacrifices. Cheers to your 2 year retirement anniversary!
    Angela :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations Angela! It was both exciting and scary for me too, but I am so glad I did it. I am so happy for you!!! XX

      Delete
  5. I hope you have figured out a good time to begin taking social security. I have not checked but someone told me that they now base you social security on you last years worked. Now that you are working part time that could really impact your payout. Nancy in Vancouver WA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have. This link will tell you how they actually compute your SSI. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/cola/Benefits.html#:~:text=Social%20Security%20benefits%20are%20typically,are%20paid%20to%20an%20individual.

      Delete
  6. I've been so impressed with your journey, and also how you prioritized your health and well being after your heart attack. Well done!
    -Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.