Friday, April 12, 2024

Saving My Nonfood $$ - Hair Care

 


Over the years I’ve simplified my hair care routines to downright minimal.  The years of perms, highlights, hair dye and yearning for Farah hair are long behind me.  At some point you come to accept what you were born with and learn to just go with it and as I’ve aged I’m embracing the fact that gray hair is inevitable.

 


In my home I keep inexpensive shampoo and conditioner, a couple brushes, one for dry hair and one for wet, a comb and a flat iron.  No leave in conditioners, gels or mousses, dry shampoo, hot oil treatments, not even a bottle of hairspray.  When my youngest left home she took the hair dryer with her and I have yet to buy a replacement.  I wasn’t using it anyway so I don’t really miss it.

 


About once a year I get a good haircut at a simple chain salon and then I maintain it myself with a trim about every four to six weeks.  My style is simple, cut just below the shoulder with bangs.  Not much has changed lately and I’m fine with that.  I’m not out to impress anyone but myself so it really doesn’t take much.  And that is it.  I don’t spend much money and to be quite honest, I feel I’ve had better results in recent years.  I think I do better now that I don’t try so hard.  Or maybe I just care a whole lot less.  Who’s to say?

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm right there with you! I wish mine wasn't falling out so much, but I have learned to handle it as minimal as possible and pull it back with a simple gently clip for work. I search for shampoos that are sulfate free, but those are easily found at Walgreen's or the grocery store. And I love the color of my silver hair. It reflects light and is naturally ME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I wish I had attractive gray hair! I found a more "natural" color brand and I only mix up half at a time. I don't color regularly either; just when I get tired of how bad it looks. Coloring also gives it more body. Otherwise, I'd look like I had little hair as it's so thin & straight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the same as Gina! Sulfate free shampoo (Herbal Essence), and a comb. I love my almost grey as well. PattiC

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can handle a lot with my hair, and have always been low maintenance (getting it cut 2x/year, if that), but the thinning is killing me. It also means I need to go much shorter, because thin, long hair is just not a good look for me.

    I work out hard every morning, so on non-hair washing days, my hair definitely looks "interesting". But, I don't want to wash it every day, & it's not good for your hair, so I try to embrace the "interesting".

    I use just a 2 in 1 shampoo & conditioner for dry scalp (thanks to my autoimmune disease), a comb, a blow dryer, and maybe 5x/year, I use a flyaway product).

    -Hawaii Planner

    ReplyDelete
  5. I donated my hair dryer about 7 years ago and haven't looked back! I stopped trying to fight the waves in my hair and I just go with it (it's not curly but also not straight). When COVID hit, I stopped going to an (inexpensive) salon, and now my sweet husband cuts my hair a couple times a year. As for gray, I feel like I've earned it and I wear it with joy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My haircare routine is pretty minimal as well. Shampoo, conditioner, hair dryer, flat iron. Most days I just let it air dry. When I think about all of the products (gels, mousse, hairspray), perms, and hot rollers I used to use in my hair in the 80's, I can't even believe I ever made it to school on time! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Back in the day it was nothing to spend an hour or more each day getting ready just to leave the house! LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.