Friday, May 24, 2024

New Vintage Cookbooks For My Collection

 


Recently I stumbled upon not one, but two vintage World War II era cookbooks.  Both of them had been donated to the thrift store at the senior center where I work part time.  I was thrilled to have the opportunity to purchase them and add them to my vintage cookbook collection.  I don’t keep many books in my home, but I do have a shelf in my hall closet where I keep my treasured vintage cookbooks.

 


I’ve always been enamored by cookbooks from the 30s, 40s, 50s and 60s, the 30s and 40s being my most favorite.  I love the simplicity of the meals they prepared using pantry staples and their own creativity, especially during the war when ration books dictated what you could buy at the grocery stores.  They had to be resourceful and make those groceries stretch every way possible and that gave way to some pretty interesting recipes, to be sure.

 



The first vintage cookbook I purchased was Victory Recipes dated 1943.  It was published in the U.S. and is filled with tons of recipes geared toward rationing along with tips to get the most mileage out of your rationed groceries.  It is also filled with lots of advertisements of food and household products of the day.  I just love it!

 



The next day one of my co-workers showed me another cookbook, much, much larger and it literally has every recipe a person could ask for along with nutrition and cooking tips of the day.  It is three inches thick and in fantastic condition.  The color illustrations are what sold me on acquiring this book.  I have spent an entire weekend ready through it and I’m more than ready to put it into practice and incorporate it into my meal plans and preparations.  It even includes a hefty menu section from which I’m sure I’ll find a ton of inspiration.

 



I am super thrilled to have these gorgeous vintage cookbooks to add to my collection.  Let me know if you’d be interested in having me share the desserts, meals and menu plans I am inspired to make.

 

22 comments:

  1. I would definitely be interested! I have inherited cookbooks like these and I love reading through them. A simpler time, not necessarily better, but really domestic and home-based. I love the snipets from the ladies they collected the recipes from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So fun to see notes penciled in or a clipping from a newspaper.

      Delete
  2. I love cookbooks and you found a couple of treasures. I would love for you to share the recipes you cook from it. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You were blessed to find those old cookbooks because women are buying them up like crazy now to help stretch their food budgets ! I clicked on the recipe pages but they were too blurry to read.I would also be interested in them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will be interested.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely would be fun to read about those recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. YES PLEASE!! I am very curious...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz from New YorkMay 24, 2024 at 9:03 PM

    I love it! I too am a collector of vintage cookbooks, as well as vintage home economic textbooks from high schools back when Home Ec was a thing. I love the vintage pictures , everything always looked so perfect! Best, liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to get my hands on an old HomeEc book. I'm on the hunt!

      Delete
  8. Oh my gosh, I love old cookbooks! I enjoy reading through them more than a good novel. And those old menu plans--it's incredible the variety of foods that people expected to eat in a single weekday meal. But I will also say that some of those food combinations (especially those from the glorious and slightly whackadoodle 50's) seem a little "indegestible" in our times, and I'm glad they're relegated to the past. ;^)

    I'm sure your readers will enjoy anything you care to post from these books!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes please share some of the old recipes. Love them too! What a great find!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.