Friday, August 19, 2022

Another Construction Project Is Under Way!

 


Once the bedroom renovation was complete I was ready to begin my next project.  In fact, while I was working on the bedroom I spent a lot of time thinking about this project and planning it out in my head.  At long last, I'm now in the process of building a log cabin!

 

Building a solid base with two layers of thick cardboard glued together

It has been a longtime dream of mine to build an off grid cabin in the woods.  A place to escape to and just relax, split some firewood, cook a nice meal and enjoy the peace and quiet.  However, for the time being anyway, the price of land and building supplies has put that dream on hold.  Instead I decided to build a dollhouse.  But not the traditional dollhouse, a log cabin for my Barbie dolls.  I am having a blast!

 

First "log" wall underway

Recently, I acquired a couple new Barbie dolls to assist me in completing this project. As a child I used to build my Barbies houses, campers, apartments, stores, you name it, I would make it.  Along with every accessory I could think of.  Using items I scrounged around the house and a lot of imagination my dolls had it made!  Well, I'm doing it again. 

 


I absolutely love dollhouses and there is just something about miniatures that really enthralls me.  I don't know what it is, but I find them fascinating.  So I decided to take my dream of building my own cabin and my love of dollhouses and mash it together and make a miniature off grid cabin in the woods.  Barbie size.

 

Close up of the "logs" I made by cutting cardboard and painting with various layers of paint
The "chinking" is strips of cream colored card stock

What I love most about this project is that it is totally frivolous.  It's only purpose is to satisfy my own desire and to amuse me.  I'm in no rush to complete it, it is something I can work on at my leisure and I expect it to last a good long while.  I'm tapping my imagination and creativity in a way I've not done in a good long while and I'm loving it.  Ideas are flowing and as long as I take my time and exercise patience things are coming together and turning out better than I expected.

 


I'm constructing the cabin out of cardboard using the boxes my bookcases came in as well as some Amazon boxes.  The "logs" are cut from strips of cardboard and painted in layers of acrylic paint to mimic wood.  I think they turned out really neat, but my most favorite part is the "rock" chimney I made with cardboard and egg cartons.  I randomly cut pieces of the egg carton to make the rocks and the texture of the inside of the carton is perfect.  I had painted the chimney dark gray to mimic mortar before adding the rocks, then applied some layers of paint to add color and dimension to the egg carton rocks.

 

I think this chimney is my favorite part so far
I even added moss from the dollar store to the logs

Along with working on the cabin itself I've been making items to put inside the cabin too.  I've made little rugs, packages of food, crochet and sewing items, all kinds of tiny things.  My dolls will need a bunch of stuff for their off grid cabin, don't you know?  Dishes, pots and pans, more food, supplies, etc.  I'm going to be busy.

 

I love the moss.  This is so much fun!!!

My plan is to place the cabin on the desk I painted.  That desk is on wheels so I can move it and turn it around as I like and it is a size that will accommodate my needs, although I can easily see this project growing quite a bit over time as ideas just keep popping into my head.  Let me know what you think of my "dollhouse" and if you would like me to post more as I work on it.  I'd love to share if there is an interest.  Are any of you miniature enthusiasts?

 

12 comments:

  1. Oh I love your doll cabin!!! Great job on the wood logs, and the stone fireplace is awesome!! Would love to see your log cabin come together.
    It has always been my dream to have a log cabin, but everything is so crazy expensive these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new project is wonderfully creative and looks fantastic. I would love to follow your progress in your future posts!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YESss!! Please keep posting your log cabin progress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this!! You are so creative! I do hope you will keep sharing the progress here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!!! You are doing what I wish I had time to be doing. Keep us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How exciting!! I love the rock chimney,and the walls look just like logs.
    Would love to see it, as you progress through building it.
    I love doll houses.so fun.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.