Friday, April 7, 2023

Laverne - Getting Back Into It

 


I was itching to get started where I left off but the weather had been cold, windy, snowy, dreary and wet making it kind of miserable to be outside for any length of time.  I needed to be patient, but sometimes that can be so hard.  Nonetheless, I found some ways to get the ball rolling regardless of the weather so I got started and made some amazing progress.

 

She was a little dusty

Phase I - Get Her Clean 

During the past two years Laverne got a little grimy and more than a little dusty.  In mid February I went out and did some decluttering and I found a few items I'd stuck out there that I really didn't need to keep so I added them to the donation pile.  Then over the course of a few days I emptied all of the cupboards and brought everything inside.  I even decluttered a few more things while I washing it all up.  A week later it warmed up enough (40°) that I filled a bucket with hot soapy water and got in there and gave her a good wipe down.  I removed all of the curtains and ran them through the washer and dryer.  I ironed them too.  She also got thoroughly vacuumed and I was able to wash all the windows on the inside.  I found a couple more things to get rid of while I was at it.

 


Phase II - DMV & Insurance 

I made an appointment with the local DMV and headed down there to get new tags and the required recreation sticker and she was legal once again.  I also got the state parks passport sticker for an additional $10 which allows me free entrance into all of the Idaho state parks for a year.  Most of our state parks have camping as well as available showers and dump stations so it is definitely money well spent.  Next, I called my insurance agent to change her storage insurance status to full time driving coverage.

 

A face only a mother can love - And I do!!

Phase III - Get Her Started 

Sadly, it had been a little while since I've had her started and been able to drive her so it was a process to go through before I could actually turn the key.  The engine battery wouldn't hold a charge so I pulled it out and took it in to Wal-Mart for a replacement.  I chose Wal-Mart because they are everywhere so if I have a problem with it while traveling I can pop into one and have it taken care of rather than needing to get back home to have it handled.  Once the battery was installed I had to deal with another issue.  She had nearly half a tank of very stale gasoline.  I bought a siphon kit and drained the tank over a period of a few days as I also needed to dispose of this fuel.  I am only allowed to take in five gallons of fuel at a time to the hazardous waste disposal drop, otherwise I had to drive it out to the dump and pay to dispose of it.  I decided to go with a little patience and save the cost of disposal opting instead to use my money to fill her with fresh fuel.  With a little finagling and some sweet talk she started right up and I did an awesome happy dance in the driveway sure to send my friends and any neighbors who may have seen it fleeing in the opposite direction.  I have no shame.

 

Best group of guys to work on Laverne so far!

Phase IV - New Shoes & A Check Up

My girl needed some tires which has been a planned expense that I intentionally put off until I was retired.  I wanted to make sure I had the freshest rubber on her and in the meantime I had saved and set aside funds to cover this expense.  I also wanted to get all new wheels as her current ones were old and ugly.  She deserved better.  Seven wheels six tires and a new spare tire later we were rockin' and a rollin'.  Baby got a new pair of shoes!

She has been gone over from the front bumper to the back bumper and for the most part I got a really good report.  Her brakes, wheel bearings, shocks and struts are all good.  Belts were replaced, as well as the power steering pump, all the other pumps are good.  Fresh oil and a filter was also on the list and she got that as well.

 

A mountain of crap I needed to put away inside Laverne

Phase V - Outfitting & Loading Her Up 

This is the part I've really been waiting for.  As I've been decluttering my home I also collected items from the house that I could use in Laverne.  I had some duplicates so I was able to replace quite a few things she already had with better quality items and pass along the other stuff.  Since I don't heat the girl when I'm not using her I won't be putting any temperature sensitive items in quite yet until I'm ready to go somewhere, but I've been able to fill the cabinets with clean dishes, pots and pans, silverware, cooking utensils, towels and wash cloths as well as books, some CDs & DVDs, craft and sewing supplies and other items to keep me entertained.

 

I took her to Home Depot & Fred Meyer one day to run some errands
Check out those new tires! 😁

What's Next? 

The restoration of Laverne isn't quite complete, however the items I have left to do are things I can actually finish while on the road so I've decided not to wait any longer.  I'd much rather work on those things in camp than my driveway anyway.  I'm currently working on some off grid power options (I will share more about this later) and we are getting pretty close.  A new heater core is needed so the cockpit heat works again and a few other minor little things are still on the docket, but and then we are all set to go on some adventures.  In all actuality, nothing needs to be done that would prevent me from taking her out right now.  Per the mechanic "She is road worthy".  I can hardly wait.  Want to come along?  I know you do!

 

12 comments:

  1. So nice you have your girl all tuned up and ready to go!! Exciting times ahead of you I’m sure! Can’t wait to read your posts on your adventures!! I loved the post where you mentioned “Lord willing”. He is in control and knows what’s best for us. We are traveling from Minnesota back to our home in Michigan now. Road trips are fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited for you and Laverne! I am looking forward to reading about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet Laverne feels amazing!!! Can't wait to hear about your adventures together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is beautiful! We (he) just bought a 30 year old Holiday Rambler, he's been working on it all week to get it ready to take to Austin(secretly enjoying it even with all the complaining).

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy for you. Know this is going
    to be so much fun. Can't wait to hear all about the adventures, you will see and do. Have fun. Will pray for a safe/happy trip.😃

    ReplyDelete
  6. (Little Penpen) yes, yes I do want to come along! This is very exciting and I’m so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how exciting! Can't wait to hear about your adventures! Thank you for taking us along for the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what fun! looking forward to reading about it
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.