Friday, July 14, 2023

On A Mission To "Lighten My Load"

 


As many of you are aware I’ve been doing a lot of decluttering while at the same time making changes both inside and outside of my home.  I’ve likened it somewhat to Swedish Death Cleaning but also I want to prepare my home for aging in place.  Like it or not I’m not getting younger and I do have health issues that I need to bear in mind.  As I’ve been decluttering and making changes my biggest goal is to make life easier on myself and thereby lighten my load so to speak.

 

This bed is easy to move plus
I have the added bonus of extra storage underneath

I still want to be active, take care of as much stuff around the house as I personally can and keep it all up to the standard I like in order to be comfortable and maintain my quality of life.  While decluttering and making my way through my home I’ve edited out a lot of items that were physically heavy and would be difficult to move, especially as I get older.  I got rid of the heavy captains beds that my children had in their bedrooms and replaced them with a single bed that has a lightweight, yet sturdy foldable bed frame.  I can easily move this bed around to clean underneath as well as rearrange the room if I choose.  I can also move it to another area of my house by myself.

 

This has been working out very well

I got rid of my large and quite heavy sewing table and replaced it with a smaller and much lighter one.  Again, I can easily move it around for cleaning as well as rearranging.  I replaced the craft center we once had with a smaller craft cart on wheels.  I like to the use medium size banker boxes to store my extra stuff in because they have handles on each side to help me carry them and the size of them prevents me from over packing and making them too heavy to lift.

 

The new freezer has been wonderful to have

All of my furniture in my living room is smaller lighter weight and I can move it myself.  Even the new freezer is one I can move on my own.  Even the vacuum cleaner was replaced with a lightweight model so I can easily carry it up the stairs.

 

My outdoor oasis

Outside I’ve redone my yard for easier maintenance and watering.  I’ve got new raised garden beds that I can plant and tend even if I must someday sit on a stool to do so.  An easy to clean and maintain chicken coop.  A smaller compost bin.  A patch of artificial grass that requires no mowing or trimming.  I have a leaf blower that mulches to help me maintain my yard as well as other lightweight tools to help me take care of my home.

 

Free up time for more adventures!

If I don’t feel well or have a lower energy day I can still manage.  My home will not self destruct because I can’t “get to it”.  I have extra food and supplies on hand so I don’t need to go shopping if I’m not up to it or the weather is nasty.  I keep extra food and supplies for my animals on hand as well.  I’m thinking ahead and preparing as much as I possibly can so I can live a really good life.  My goal is to remain independent and self sufficient while enjoying my retirement with lots of time to play.

 

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Those are some really good ideas! I had never thought about ensuring that furniture was lighter weight and easy to move around, but it makes perfect sense. I unwittingly did just that by getting rid of 2 bulky, heavy end tables and replacing them with lighter, smaller ones. I replaced them for aesthetic reasons, not practical. And yet, now that you've mentioned it, those end tables are so much easier to move for vacuuming and collect far less clutter. Wow--mind blown!

    Can I ask what brand/kind of leaf blower you have?

    We have a professional grade gas-powerd one, but I want a smaller, lighter, easier-to-use blower for my own use. One that doesn't require gas mixing, doesn't weigh 80 lbs, and doesn't have a pull start. Just THINKING bout trying to start up that beast makes me tired.

    I just want a lightweight (but good, with a decent power!) one for simple things like blowing off my driveway, porches, and walkways. I'd appreciate any input you or your readers could provide

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My leaf blower is a Toro. It is electric so you have to have an extension cord. I use that thing A LOT. I even use it to "sweep" out the garage and it gets all the nooks and crannies plus the cobwebs. Also, in the winter, I used it to blow the snow off my vehicles and if it is light and powdery enough I can clear the driveway and sidewalks instead of shoveling. Definitely has a multitude of uses.

      Delete
  2. PS By the way, you look SUPER CUTE in that last photo! :^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have made some very wise moves and I know that someday down the road this will pay off big time for you. I'm sure having less has already made things a hundred times easier. I need to get as busy as you have with my own things. I have so many projects I want to do. You also look fantastic!! I'm so happy that you are happy and getting to enjoy some new adventures! You are goals!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Mandy! I'm very happy with the choices I've made around my home and yes, it is definitely making life much easier and more enjoyable. I am really enjoying my free time more than ever.

      Delete
  4. Such a fantastic idea. You've done a great job. Congrats.
    I am 68, and have been doing lots of declutteting, for the same reasons. I've done so much, my daughter ask, "Do you think your fixing to die?"😆 I told her no, I just want to prepare my life. And I don't want my kids to have to go through all my junk, when I die. 😆 Honestly it is so much easier to keep clean now, and know where stuff is. Loving it!!! My decluttrring is still continuing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still decluttering too. It's a process, but you're right, it is much easier to clean house. That makes it all worth it.

      Delete
  5. I love this! I've been thinking this way too. I told my husband it would be easier to plan and put things in place now. Instead of rushing under pressure to change things in 10-20 years because one of us gets ill or injured.
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think what you’ve been doing is genius.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.