Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Setting Up My Laundry Area

 


The laundry situation at my new home was a bit of a head scratcher.  The previous owner had gone to great lengths to install plumbing for a washing machine and a gas line for a dryer.  He had built a platform to place the washer and dryer and that was about the extent of the operation.  The appliances sat outside, completely exposed to the elements with only a tarp screwed to the fence as a drape to try to protect them.  Not only was this ineffective, but it looked atrocious.

 


As part of the sale of the home I asked that these appliances be removed upon closing.  The washing machine no longer worked (wonder why?) and they were filthy dirty.  They were also much larger than what I need in this stage of life.  I had larger capacity front loaders in my previous home, which was great, but after the kiddos grew up and left home they were really too big for my needs.

 


After doing a lot of research, and having lived in an RV with a portable washing machine, I knew that was the scale I wanted in this stage of my life.  A cute tiny washer and dryer for a cute tiny house seemed perfect.  I even did a lot of research and discovered that in many Asian and European countries these washing machines are what they typically use along with drying racks and clotheslines.  I already had the drying rack so this was making more and more sense.

 


With a lot of thought I mapped out my plan to upgrade the previous homeowner’s attempt at a laundry center and I even asked the home inspector for some input to make sure I wasn’t going to do something stupid.  He wholeheartedly agreed that what I wanted to do back there would work and a couple of my neighbors thought so too.  With those ringing endorsements I forged ahead and was able to order a resin trash bin storage shed kit on clearance (60% OFF) over Labor Day weekend and have it delivered to my house.

 


Assembling the shed took me a little over an hour, was surprisingly easy and I was thrilled once I was done that it was the perfect dimensions to fit the washer and dryer inside.  Although I had taken a lot of measurements and read the specs on several sheds you just never know until it is actually sitting in front of you.  It was also light enough for me to easily move and maneuver.  While I waited for the oscillating multi-tool I had ordered from Home Depot to arrive I was left at a standstill to move forward for about a week.

 


The wait was worth it as it gave me extra time to think about things and come up with a methodical execution plan.  This tool worked perfectly to cut the openings I needed to accommodate the water line, electrical outlet and even the cutting of the round hole for the dryer vent.  I was able to reuse the vent hose and cover from the previous set up, but the water line (there is only one on this washer) needed to be replaced because it leaked.

 


Right now I have it set up in place with everything connected.  My next steps will be to add the proper water line and the foam insulation.  I’m able to reuse what was on the previous owners water lines as well as the existing heat tape.  I will also be adding some insulation to the walls, doors and the roof (which opens on hydraulic lifts so I have plenty of access to do my laundry).  Because I’m in the south the winters are a bit more mild than where I come from which is why this outdoor setup should work for me year round, but I do want to take precautions in case we get a cold snap.  I will also be adding the option of an oil filled heater should the need arise.

 


And that is it!  The washing machine does a fabulous job.  As soon as my laundry basket reaches the top I know it is time to do a load.  The dryer takes care of the lighter weight items so my undies and sexy lingerie (I don’t own anything sexy) don’t need to flap in the breeze and my drying rack handles the towels.  I have always hung my bras, pants and most of my shirts to dry so nothing there has changed.  I’m just very happy to have this neatly contained and protected area in my backyard where I can wash my laundry at home, regardless of the weather.

 

2 comments:

  1. Looks nice and neat. Awesome job on setting everything up. Janie

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.