Saturday, October 10, 2026

My Tireless Retirement - Week 236

 


Another beautiful week in paradise and my retirement has come to an end.  I’ve spent a fair bit of time outdoors enjoying the sunshine, blue skies and fresh air.  I’ve had some elk sightings too, but every time I grab the camera those little (huge) buggers go behind a tree or clump of brush.  It’s like they know and suddenly become very camera shy.  My cat does the same thing.

 


Saturday I raked up enough leaves to fill up two trash bags.  Looking around at the trees I’m sure I’ll be raking for a few more months, but I don’t mind at all.  It doesn’t take me very long on my small lot and the park staff cleans up the vast majority of them throughout the week.  We just need to take care of our own lots.

 


I took all day Sunday off and then was back at it on Monday tidying things up and doing the laundry.  After dust mopping and then wet mopping the floors I swept the porch and ended up taking my mid morning coffee break out there in my rocking chair.  I love how peaceful it is here.

 


Next, I put in an online Costco order and was able to get everything delivered at no additional cost.  Do I need any of this stuff?  No, but I wanted it so I bought it.  Most of it will end up in my LTFS, and the treats?  They’re for me.  I’m working on a Wal-Mart delivery order next and once I get that done I should be very well stocked for the wintertime as well as the upcoming holidays.

 


Having a well stocked kitchen once again is allowing me to prepare just about any meal I choose.  I even made some fish & chips for my lunch one day instead of driving into town for an overpriced meal at a restaurant.  It was pretty darn tasty.  I also made a pot of black bean soup in my little Crockpot to go with some leftover cornbread I had made the previous week.  With Fall in the air now I’ve been wanting to make soup again.  I’ll be sharing the recipe for the bean soup with you soon.

 


And can I tell you something?  I am absolutely tickled pink with my new refrigerator.  It is such a joy to have and use.  There are times when I look at it that I cannot believe I even have it in my kitchen.  In fact, I look around my home and it almost seems surreal that I am here.  I am just thrilled.

 


Tuesday morning I did a little project in the bathroom installing a timer switch for the bathroom exhaust fan.  I had done this in my previous house and it was a real game changer for me and I think it kind of spoiled me.  I decided the new house needed one too so I ordered the exact same one again from Amazon.  Now I can take my shower at night and go to bed without needing to stay up and shut the fan off once the humidity in the room is gone.  This is just a simple little luxury that doesn’t cost a lot ($15), but it really makes a difference.

 


Wednesday the new grocery ads came out and I was able to find a handful of items in my Wal-Mart cart that were on sale at Safeway.  I decided to remove those items from my cart and download the digital coupons instead.  I figured I needed a good excuse to leave the house and venture into town anyway.

 


Some new shelving units arrived Thursday so now I can begin my next “big” project.  These shelves are very much needed so I can get my storage shed cleared out and then organized.  Right now it is a complete disaster and difficult find or get to what I need.  I’ve also had a few crap-a-lanches that have spilled out the door or landed on my feet.  Time to do something about that!  I’ll keep you posted.

 


How was your week?  Did you do anything fun?  How is the weather where you live?  Ours has been really nice, but we’ve got some rainy days ahead.  I hope you have a great weekend.  Take care!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.