Monday, October 5, 2026

Streamlined LTFS Plans & Preparation?

 


Of all the things I needed to downsize in preparation of my out of state move I found my long term food storage (LTFS) really tugged at my heart.  All of that hard work, money and time spent to reach my ultimate goal to see if I could create two years of food storage left me feeling rather sad as I dismantled it and gave the majority of it all away.  The BFF and several friends benefitted from this surplus and I’m happy it is helping them, but it was still pretty tough to let it go.  Logistically, it just wasn’t going to be practical for me to try to take it with me.

 

So long, farewell 😭

Nonetheless, I did manage to bring a little bit of it with me which helped greatly as I transitioned into hotel rooms while I completed my new home search.  It proved to be very convenient to have home canned shelf stable items with me to easily make healthy meals in my hotel room.  My 12V camp refrigerator allowed me to take quite a bit of my frozen Butcher Box meat and some butter with me too.  I was able to keep it running with the solar generator which I charged while driving down the road and later once I got to my possible home town I brought it into the hotel and plugged it into the wall.

 

This is all I brought with me including food for the cat 🙀

As mentioned before I packed a banker box as my starter pantry so I wouldn’t have to completely start from scratch.  I also packed another banker box filled with spices, pickles, olives and condiments.  Both of those went into the car for the journey as well.  A third box held three flats of home canned goods.  For daily use items I set up what I needed in two Trader Joes bags and that turned out to be just right for what I needed while in the hotels.

 

Lots of miles ahead with time to think

As I drove across the country I had plenty of time to think and one of the topics I thought about was whether or not I wanted to create a new LTFS and how I might go about it this time.  Ultimately I came to the conclusion I would definitely want to have a LTFS because I truly enjoy doing it and I think it is simply in my nature to want that type of preparedness in my life.

 

I came up with a new plan! 😊

Oddly enough, before moving some of you had requested me to talk about how one might start a LTFS and I was in the midst of writing a couple of blog posts about it when I got the offer on the house.  Now I’m going to change gears a little bit and just take you along as I do it in real time.  I have far less available space this time around and I’ve decided to really streamline what I am going to have on hand, especially as right now grocery prices are so high.

 

I'll be taking advantage of this area over the fridge

I’m very much looking forward to my next great adventure as I begin a brand new long term food storage system.  It will be a good project to work on this winter.  I hope you will all enjoy coming along with me as I get started.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.