Monday, September 18, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 76

 


Another fantastic week is in the books!  We’ve had wonderful weather, I am still harvesting veggies from the garden, my flowers are lovely and overall it was just grand.  One of my big accomplishments was to “graduate” from therapy last week.  I am now on an as needed basis so if I feel I need to go I go, but if not I’m just going to carry on with my life.  I’ve had the great pleasure of working with two really good therapists (they each had their own specialties) this past year and they have helped me so much as I’ve navigated my complex health issues, some personal issues, my anxiety issues (I’m no longer in the extreme category), taking early retirement (I really struggled to unwind and settle in) and even my becoming an empty nester.  It was a lot going on in a short span of time.  I can tell I’m just a much better human now.  I not only feel so much better, but I also feel empowered.  If you are struggling in any facet of your life please don’t be afraid to reach out and accept help.  It’s life changing.

 


After completing those repairs to my little truck I got outside last week to give her a thorough cleaning inside, washing windows, cleaning all the nooks and crannies and going over all the surfaces with Armorall.  Then I went over the seats and floors with the vacuum cleaner.  I love nothing more than driving a nice clean vehicle.  She is looking good!


Happy Birthday to me! 😆
It's almost hot buttered rum season

You know you are in a good place when your BFF wants to get you something for your birthday and you can't come up with any ideas of something you want or need.  Fortunately, we figured it out.

 

Family packs of steaks for 50% OFF

I wasn’t planning to do any grocery shopping this week because there wasn’t anything I needed, but Albertson’s gave me a digital coupon for $5 OFF A $15 Purchase.  With the high cost of groceries these days I’m pretty hard pressed to turn away free food so off I went to see what I might be able to find.  Three large packages of steaks, an extra onion and two bell peppers on sale for 50¢ each made it into my cart and once I checked out my final bill was just over $15.  Not a bad deal at all!  Once I got home I went ahead and divided up all the steaks into individual packages for future meals and into the freezer they went.

 

More binders for some upcoming organizing projects
The red one is for my next photo album project

As we head into Fall I’ve decided I want to expand on my photo album project some more so I ordered a new set of binders, one of which I’ll be using for this project,  Next I need to find some some downtime to go through and load digital photos into my Walgreens photo cart and have them printed off.  Once I get those done my plan is to continue scrapbooking from my kids in grade school, which is where my current albums end, all the way through their high school graduations.



I printed off three calendar pages and got started on my holiday planning.  I love planning for the holidays and although I don't have a whole lot on the agenda this year it is still fun to plan ahead and have it to look forward to.  I find I actually do more if I plan it out than if I try to wing it.

 

I made meatball subs on low carb hot dog buns and they were delicious!

But first, I have to complete a different project in that is on my list for winter preparations and the supplies I needed have arrived.  I’ll let you know what this particular project is once I’m all finished.

 

This is for the next project on my list

I had to say farewell to my sweet little girl Edith

Sadly my girl Edith passed away on Friday afternoon, but I'm so glad I was able to be home with her and make sure she knew how much I loved her right up until the very end.  I had her for 8 1/2 years, a pretty long run for a chicken, and I raised her from a two day old chick.  I know to many she was just a chicken, but she was super special to me and I am really going to miss her.  Now she is reunited with the rest of her flock.

While out running errands I picked up these three pair of socks at Dollar Tree 
I hope they'll be good ones

I had lots of little projects and tasks around the house to complete and keep me plenty busy.  I hope you had a wonderful week and I wish you well in the week ahead.  Take care my friends!

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry to hear of Edith's passing--she was a beautiful girl and a fun part of your blog. You have my sincere sympathies. She wasn't "just a chicken", she was a beloved pet and companion. 8.5 years means she had a good long run with you, and that's a tremendous blessing.

    I agree that therapy is a very good thing. I resumed it because it's been an extremely hard year for me. Like you, an avalanche of life-altering changes made my days harder and harder to navigate. Therapy is helping me to reset and move forward.

    I adore meatball subs and yours looks divine! Those black olives tell me you are a kindred spirit, LOL. I'm going to have to find some low-carb buns (I love Aldi's Keto breads--zero net carbs!) and put meatball subs on the menu this week.

    Again, I'm sorry for your loss and I wish you well this week and always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue.

      Isn't it crazy how things tend to happen all at once? I'm glad you are able to get some help to move forward. Sometimes we just need a little bit of assistance when life overwhelms us.

      Enjoy your meatball subs! Take care my friend.

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about Edith but it sounds like she had a very good long life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry for your loss. Hugs, Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Honey, I am sorry to hear about Edith. You're right -- that was really long for a chicken. But having had my own chickens, she was a personality to me -- not just a clucker. 'Rest of her flock' implies she was the last to go.
    It would be interesting to hear a retrospective on your chicken-raising experience. Are you (or have you) getting more? (Now we have a house in our future, I'm planning to get some chicks in the spring.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exciting news Cindy! I still have three girls from my last round of peeps a few years ago. Of all my chickens I have to say Edith was the most special.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.