Saturday, September 19, 2026

My Tireless Retirement - Week 233

 


Today marks four weeks already that I have lived in my new home.  I guess time really does fly when you are having fun and I can attest, I am really having fun.  It has been a month of steady productivity setting this place up as my functional and cozy home, but it hasn’t felt like an overwhelming process.  My approach to moving and ultimately moving in has been to just take each day as it comes and to do what felt right at the time and so far it seems to be working rather well.  I call it my “free flow” approach to life.

 


It was amazing to me how much a simple little bookcase, one I’ve purchased before and then sold at my estate sale, can change a closet and make a huge difference.  I was able to re-purchase this bookcase at Wal-Mart and use it to store items that had previously taken up five different banker boxes.  Fantastic!

 

My final September shop

Another thing I managed to do last week was to complete the restocking of my kitchen.  I am thrilled that I was able to do this so quickly and for very little money as it turned out.  I’ll go into more detail about this project in my monthly grocery wrap up.  I think you will be impressed.  I know I am!

 

It required one of these.  Just wait to see what I did with it. 😁

The really big project this past week was to start setting up my new laundry area.  I’ll go into more details in a separate post, but so far it is coming right along.  As you can well imagine, having the ability to do my laundry at home rather than at a Laundromat is one of those things I truly appreciate. It will be a bit of a process to get done and I am eager to share the completed project with you.

 


Wednesday was a full on rainy day, perfect for staying home, lighting a candle and enjoying my new little home so that is exactly what I did.  It was nice to sit and watch the rain come down and flow down the road toward the big drainage wash nearby.  It was a lot like having creek front property.  I love a good rain.

 

Blessed with some freebies 😊

Thursdays are the day I will walk my trash down to the dumpster and then pop into the clubhouse to see what is on the FREE table.  I was told the local food bank drops off their leftovers on Thursday so it is fun to take a peek and see if there is anything I can use.  Last week I picked up a two pound bag of dry pinto beans, a pound of navy beans and a can of green beans and a can of diced tomatoes.  The week before, my first visit, I picked up a can of pumpkin, an onion and a package of powdered milk.  I don’t take too much and only what I feel I will use so there is plenty left for my neighbors to enjoy.  I also get a FREE copy of the local newspaper too.

 

I made some delicious refried beans πŸ˜‹

And with that another simple week in retirement came to a close.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to have a clubhouse and a free table. You never know what will be on it! Jealous of your rain. Still dry out west πŸ˜“πŸ˜“barb

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.