Monday, September 21, 2026

What's For Dinner? New House Edition

 


Now that I am settling into a new daily routine I find myself taking on a bit of a change in not only my eating habits, but also the way I’m planning and preparing my meals.  I still create meals based on what I already have on hand in the house, but instead of having an actual meal plan or meal prepping batches of food I’m following more of a repetitive eating plan.  I learned about this from a Youtuber I enjoy watching.

 


One of the biggest changes I’ve made is to have one big meal a day about mid afternoon and then a small snack in the evening if I’m feeling hungry.  Because of this I only need to prepare about two meals per week.  One of the first meals I wanted to prepare once I had a workable kitchen again was a pot roast cooked slowly all day long in my slow cooker.  I wanted potatoes and carrots cooked in the roast juices as well as buttered green beans alongside of that roast.  Topping it with delicious mushroom gravy took this meal right over the top and was a perfect way to break in my new kitchen.

 


The next meal I made was stuffed bell peppers with baked potatoes and a green salad on the side.  I used red peppers and stuffed them with pork sausage filling and baked them in the oven with the potatoes.

 


One evening I used some of the leftover roast to make shredded beef quesadillas.  A small dish of salsa with a spoonful of sour cream made a delicious dipping sauce.

 


I took the last of the roast, chopped it up along with some mushrooms and onions and sautéed that altogether.  I added the leftover gravy, some milk, garlic powder and dried parsley and allowed it to simmer while I cooked a cup of bowtie pasta.  I stirred in a half cup of sour cream along with the cooked and drained pasta and served it with leftover vegetables on the side.

 


Something I haven’t made in a very long time was BBQ ribs.  Labor Day seemed like the perfect day to have this meal.  I slow cooked the ribs all day in my Crockpot and then added some BBQ sauce near the end of cooking.  I served it with macaroni & cheese as a side.

 


Once the leftovers were cleaned up I put together ingredients in my little Crockpot to make pasta sauce.  I was planning to make spaghetti for my birthday at the first of the month, but I had so many leftovers I decided to wait.  I enjoyed my spaghetti dinner with a nice salad on the side.

 

I also made this scrumptious BLT one day 😋

Like with the pot roast I am doing my best to stretch meat and turn leftovers into new meals.  As always I am making sure food isn’t going to waste, especially with prices being so high on groceries right now I feel it is even more important to curb food waste.  Getting creative with preparing meals and having an idea in my head or jotted down on paper of what I want to do each week helps a lot.  How do you think I did?  What meals have you been preparing?

 

4 comments:

  1. Your meals always look so delicious! Great ideas for using up the leftovers,I've never thought of using leftover pot roast in a quesadilla,thanks for the new option. I was wondering where is your best friend and family going to sleep in your tiny house when they come to visit?Do you have a fold out couch bed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your meals always look so delicious. I wish I liked leftovers but I do not.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.