Friday, March 11, 2022

Shoes, Socks & Underwear

 


There are a lot of things to consider when prepping.  My first concerns were to cover my basic needs - food, water and shelter.  Once I was comfortable with what I had done in that area I moved on to household items, first aid and medications.  Then pet food.  Next on my list was to prep shoes, socks and underwear.  These three items fall into the category of things I prefer to purchase new as opposed to second hand.  They also fall into the category of difficult to make so most of us will need to purchase them.  Where you live and your particular climate will determine exactly what you will need.


I had picked these up in January on clearance, with a coupon + rewards $$

I live in an area with four distinct season of winter, spring, summer and fall.  We get snow and rain and very cold winters as well as hot and dry summers so I wanted to make sure I had adequate footwear for all of the seasons.  First on my list is a pair of water resistant insulated winter boots to navigate the cold wet snowy winters.  Since I already had a good pair of boots that was an easy one to cross of my list.  Next was an extra pair of daily wear shoes.  I purchased a pair of good quality sneakers, on clearance and with coupons so it was affordable.  The last item on my list is to invest in a pair of good quality sandals which I am planning to get next week.  I have a pair in mind and a $10 store coupon plus a $5 store reward to use on that purchase. 


We buy a lot of our shoes at DSW and we are signed up with their store rewards program


With kids shoes, a lot of times they'll 0utgrow something before they outwear it so I've often found good shoes at thrift stores, especially winter boots or dress shoes that aren't worn as often.  I always bought them new good quality sneakers for daily wear as they got older and started school.  As long as you are choosy with thrifted footwear you can find some good stuff, but if you prefer to purchase new items like I do check the clearance racks and shop at stores that offer coupons or rewards points for extra savings.

 

Our latest acquisition was 10 pair of socks for $6.99 - I split this with my daughter

Good socks are another thing I want to make sure I have.  Periodically I will inspect my socks for holes or wear and replace them.  I decided to add some extra pairs in various styles including warm fuzzy socks for cold weather days.  I do the same with underwear and replace them as needed with a few extra pairs too.  Fortunately I do know how to make underwear and I have the materials on hand should I choose to make some. Outlet stores, clearance racks and sales are the way to go to save when purchasing socks and underwear.

 

I also added two new bras to my underwear drawer - 50% OFF the pink price tags!

I have always been one to think ahead and have a planned replacement routine in place for these items, not just for myself but my children as well.  I used to buy ahead with larger sizes for them to grow into and pass gently worn items from the oldest to the youngest whenever possible.  Right now I think it is a really good idea to make sure we have a good supply of these items on hand.

 

 

6 comments:

  1. I don't post often, but I check both your sites every day. I truly appreciate all your thrifty ideas and insights. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post. I definitely need some new undergarments, another pair of shoes. How did you decide how much OTC meds to store?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For OTC I have the one that we are using and a spare plus a one year supply of vitamins and supplements.

      Delete
  3. Up until the past 3 years, I would take advantage of VS free underwear coupons and bra sales. I now have enough underwear to last me years. I will need a few new bras in the future but at least for this year, I am ok.
    I have a $10 coupon at Eddie Bauer. I like their no-show socks so will stock up on those this week.
    Next on my list is 2-3 pairs of jeans. I wear them to work and last years are getting worn. I will get new and save the current work jeans for weekends at home.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.