Wednesday, December 7, 2022

A Bit Of Christmas Cheer

 


When you happily have your best friend crash your Thanksgiving you end up doing things you don't normally do like getting up at the crack of dawn to go Black Friday shopping (we didn't buy anything, we just went), grabbing coffee (too full from the night before to eat breakfast) and then heading home to put up your Christmas tree, but sometimes you just have to go with the flow.  This year I have a brand new tree that I purchased at Hobby Lobby early this fall so it wasn't a difficult thing to talk me into.  I was ready!

 

I made this santa in a ceramics class I took 25 years or so ago

First I had to gather up all of the fall décor and get it put away and while I was at it I went through it all again and ended up decluttering a nice sized pile of items I no longer wish to keep.  Once all of the fall décor was back in its bin and tucked up on the shelf we brought in the two Christmas bins, the largest which used to keep my tree in it, but I had given it away on Facebook Marketplace Buy Nothing Group when I got home from Hobby Lobby last fall with the new tree.  I decided to go through everything I had and only use and keep the things I like and let the rest of it go.

 

My donation pile!

I am amazed at how many ornaments I was able to get on my sweet little three foot "fancy" tree.  It even said "fancy" on the label so it must be true.  That's how I roll don't you know?  Fancy, fancy, fancy!  Anyway, I tested all the light,  one ended up in the trash bin and two on the tree with a set in reserve for next time so I'm in good shape with the lights.

 

I love my new little tree and the pretty pillow covers I made a few years ago

The tree is my main focal point sitting in the front window on my great-grandmother's antique table.  I only have a few other Christmas decorations sitting out on the mantle, my grandmother's fenton bowl filled with the bulbs from their old light string and candles.  That's it.  I kept it light and airy, I absolutely love it.

 

I have these two little cuties on my kitchen windowsill

We played my old Christmas albums on my reproduction Victrola while we worked and it was perfect.  I got out the Christmas themed coffee mugs to use each morning and gave the china a quick wash as well.  All the fun stuff of the holidays is in full swing.  We even installed a timer on the pergola lights so they come on automatically now.  Tell me that doesn't scream Christmas?

 

I got out my Christmas cup and the dishes

Good food is a big part of the holidays so I will be baking a few things here and there as well as making some delicious meals to enjoy.  Sharing with others is important too.  We're keeping the gifts minimal this year, but there will be plenty of delicious things around here to eat and drink.  No one will be sent away hungry, that's for sure.

 

 

8 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.