Saturday, September 12, 2026

My Tireless Retirement - Week 231 & 232

 


Slowly I find myself settling into my new home and surroundings quite nicely.  Things are getting organized and put away, I am able to cook regularly in my cute little kitchen and I’m starting to loosely build my new daily routines.  My one constant through all of this has been keeping up my morning coffees.  I even bought myself a nice new coffee pot.  I’m not addicted, just committed.

 

I've started to hang up my wall art


Once the U-box was picked up and removed from my driveway it really felt like I was officially moved into my home.  In the shed there are plenty of bins and boxes to unpack, but for now I am settled in enough that those items can wait a bit.

 

I am at that stage where I can slow down and unpack at a more leisurely pace

I’m learning my way around town as I figure out where to shop for groceries, buy gas for my car and, of course, where the local Home Depot is located.  We have a Wal-Mart, a Safeway, Dollar Tree and a local supermarket we’ll call Benny’s.  Not a lot of shopping options, but sufficient nonetheless.  What I’ve noticed about all of these stores, including Home Depot, is they are much smaller and more compact than what I’m used to.  Online shopping is filling in the gaps.

 

Cherry limeade margarita - delicious! ๐Ÿ˜‹

On my birthday I celebrated by taking myself out to lunch and enjoying a fun cherry limeade margarita.  Then I picked up a tiny chocolate birthday cake and a carton of vanilla bean ice cream.  It was a simple relaxed day and absolutely perfect.

 

Jack is settling in just fine

As Fall approaches the sunsets have been coming earlier and earlier.  I love to sit on my porch and watch as the sun goes behind the mountainside and disappears.  The El Nino this year has brought warmer than usual daytime temperatures, but the nights are nice and cool.  Right now our highs are in the mid to low 80s.

 

I bought some new plants!

Getting all of the bills I’d accumulated in the move collected and paid was a huge relief.  It has been a very long time since I’ve had bills like that, but it was good because everything I had made by selling my truck and motorhome plus the proceeds from my estate sale was exactly what I needed to cover those expenses with enough leftover to set me up nicely in the new house and cover those extra costs including utility deposits/fees, groceries, new carpet as well as some new furniture and appliances, mainly a washer and dryer.  That blew my mind.  What a blessing!  I am so very thankful.

 

Dude!  What are you doing up there?!

Labor Day weekend I gave myself permission to be a bit lazy and rest up after the big push to get moved and then moved in.  I had no particular agenda and just did whatever I felt like doing.  It was nice not to feel pressed to do stuff and be overly productive.

 

Mums just speak of Fall to me

I visited the nursery near my house and was able to add some new plants.  Nothing quite makes a home like something green and alive.  I potted up a magenta chrysanthemum to sit on the table next to my porch rocker.  I can see it from my living room window as well.

 

A new pothos

One of my neighbors informed me that naptime is a requirement in this community.  Admittedly, Jack and I have had a few catnaps together in the recliner mid afternoon a couple of times.  He's doing his best to get me trained. ๐Ÿ˜‰

  

I got my ghosties out because I just love them so much ๐Ÿ˜Š

The remainder of the week was mainly spent puttering around the house as I continue to unpack a box here and there.  I was able to get some of my artwork hung up on the walls.  I’ve also been organizing and re-organizing spaces to make them more efficient and workable.  It’s all a process.

 

A new peace lily

Thank you so much for all of the well wishes, birthday wishes and words of encouragement.  It has truly meant the world to me.  It makes this journey so much more fun when you have others to share it with.  Have a great weekend and I wish you a fabulous week ahead.

 

18 comments:

  1. I enjoy your little ghosts. I’ve looked for 1 in several stores but can’t find just the right one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A happy belated birthday and Labor Day! Love the plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Adding those plants really seemed to make it home.

      Delete
  3. I am so amazed at your courage to do this move. I am your age and could not imaging doing it myself.
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS HAPPY BIRTHDAY
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy belated birthday and congratulations on the move, it seems perfect for you and I'm so glad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think this place is definitely the right one for me. :o)

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday, Friend! Glad you're settling in nicely...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I laughed at your addicted not committed coffee comment.Coffee is one thing I refuse to compromise on. :) I love your wall art especially the cat print. You seem to be settling in quite nicely. I see Jack takes his kitchen supervisory position seriously haha. Have a great week!
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I'm just getting caught up on your move and all the news. How exciting for you!! And what a thrill to have it all fall into place. It really does look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been a bit of a whirlwind, but I'm settling in quite nicely. :)

      Delete
  9. Your ghosts are adorable. And Jack is simply surveying the house, making his mental lists of things YOU need to do!

    Speaking of Jack (and his penchant to climb/nose around), I hope he is not a plant nibbler. Both pothos and peace lily are toxic to cats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack is not a plant nibbler. Veggies aren't his thing. Ha!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.